pH has crept up to 8.3, fish seem fine....

Margarita11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
Hi, the pH has crept up to 8.3 in my established 75 gallon, heavily planted aquarium. The plants continue to grow well and the fish seem fine. Should I worry? Fish are mostly about 2-years: 3 angels, a geophagus, tiger barb, red tail shark, betta, blue gourami, 3 plecos, 9 cardinals. A couple months ago I lost the male angel to an infection -- tried to treat him but he didn't make it, although I did save the female who also got sick -- and have been doing 50% water changes every week since then. Tap water is high, around 8, and pretty hard, according to a fish store guy. I've been told I could try reducing the water changes to every 2-3 weeks, just monitor the nitrates (10ish now) and make sure they don't creep up beyond 20-30. I also know about peat moss, and have some on hand. I'd definitely rather not add chemical pH reducers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: tlindsey

Margarita11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
I mean it was around 8 for a year and a half, then started getting higher a few months ago. I'm happy to leave it alone, just wanted to check, thank you.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
I feel the pH change from 8 to 8.3 is not drastic and fish would get used to it, without issues.

Earlier I tried with driftwood, peatmoss, catappa leaves etc to try reduce pH (I couldn't), and I got advice and learnt that I have to leave pH as-is and fish will be fine. Only thing I try is to check the TDS for the source and tank water before water change, and limit water change to 40% anytime. Through this, any change won't be drastic, and fish will be fine.

Margarita11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
I feel the pH change from 8 to 8.3 is not drastic and fish would get used to it, without issues.

Earlier I tried with driftwood, peatmoss, catappa leaves etc to try reduce pH (I couldn't), and I got advice and learnt that I have to leave pH as-is and fish will be fine. Only thing I try is to check the TDS for the source and tank water before water change, and limit water change to 40% anytime. Through this, any change won't be drastic, and fish will be fine.
I suspected it would be a lot of work for no results. The biggest thing is the fish seem very happy, now that I'm doing weekly water changes instead of every 2 or 3 weeks, so I'm keeping the water cleaner and the nitrates way down. I'll just keep going this way. But what is TDS?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store