Triple 20 gallon stand, anyone know where to find one?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Anyone know of any site that sells triple 20 gallon high stands? I'd rather buy one that's proven to work rather then make this my first stand build since I'm worried that it could fail...

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Not sure of any specific websites that sell them but fish stores have stands for multi tanks. But even if they have a few stands doing nothing around the back of the shop there's no guarantee they'd be for 20g tanks, probably be for bigger tanks.

To be honest your diy skills must be pretty bad if you can't trust yourself to build a basic stand that relatively speaking isn't even going to hold a lot of weight. You could custom make it to your own liking so it's perfect.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
You will have to have some powertools but a 2x4 diy stand is the way to go. Three 20 gallons will total around 600 lbs which isnt a whole lot. A simple box framed 2x4 shelf would be easy and cheap.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well I guess that means no easy way out for me this time. And it's not that my diy skills are bad, it's that this would be the first time I've ever built anything so naturally I'm a bit apprehensive of doing so. I did find a good little video on how to build one last night from the king of diy, figure I'll give it a go. I gotta start diy'ing eventually and this is a good place to start.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
for your first build you've picked a pretty easy one really. some people dive straight in at the deep end and their first project is a 500g plywood build! the important thing to remember is that you don't rely on your screws for the load bearing. joeys designs always incorporate this factor.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I remember him saying "it will take 100 to 150 pound to snap one of these screws in half. We have 32." Do you have any good diy'ing videos you reccomend that could help me?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
if you typed in "video on a triple 20g aquarium stand build" I doubt you'd come up with much, it's a bit of an oddball one. the trick is to incorporate the design and build method from the thousands of stands on line and use these methods on your own stand. most people just go to joeys builds, he's done dozens and dozens of them.

like I said, the important thing is that your screws shouldn't be relied upon to do any load bearing, they should only be there to hold the structure together.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Ok thanks man, I'm gonna start doing research (when am I not doing research?) on it. The good thing is that I have plenty of time to research it and perfect it since I want to wait for my wallace's shoehead catfish to grow a bit so I can transfer him back to my 75 gallon. Then I can empty the 20 gallon and put the stand where it sat :D. Maybe I should get this moved to the diy section since that's the direction this is headed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store