Ornatus Pim toxic mucus

Theodore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2018
hello, I’ve got an important question if anyone here may know, what would happen to a fish if it was potentially pricked by a Ornatus pimelodus’s spine seeing as they have a toxic mucus on them?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Believe it’s a just a painful prick even from the mucus and that’s all. Keep an eye on the fish and the area if it develops into something more. Can add a little salt 1 tsp per gallon(once) after a water change.

Reactions: Theodore

Theodore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2018
Thankyou mate, I’m not sure if my fish was pricked or not, seems to have some sort of infection which started of with a red mark in the middle which I thought could possibly be from my pims

B720BF9E-DAEB-4816-8813-93076F4DA059.jpeg

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree with Ron. There is no poison or venom on Pimelodus spines, just a pain-inducing substance in the mucus.

What are we supposed to see in the photo? I am not certain what the photo is meant to convey.

Theodore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2018
Thankyou mate, I’ve ruled the pim out as the issue, all the grey/purple on the pleco is a skin infection, managed to find someone who has delt with it before

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Oh, I see. The ventral side sometimes can have strange colorations, so I wasn't sure if that on your pleco was the norm or the suspected issue.

I must add I've never dealt with such issues. Is it really skin? Not the intestinal / internal organ issue? All my experience with skin problems (infections?) has to do with inflammation = redness, lesions, open sores, ulcers, etc. My impression is has most usually or even only to do with external parasites.

Discoloration you are pointing at, may root in the internal issues, as the skin is semi-transparent and thin and the color of the tissues, organs, etc. underlying the skin affects overall color.

Theodore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2018
Well I’m not 100% sure, but the guy that checked it out has many many years experience with L numbers, said it wasn’t an internal issue, but is still stump on what the infection actually is, gave me advice on what had worked for him, and now I’m just playing the waiting game

Thanks for the info mate, I’ll keep a close eye and see if I notice anything suggestion parasites/internal issues, pleco is acting same as usual as far as I can tell

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Well I’m not 100% sure, but the guy that checked it out has many many years experience with L numbers, said it wasn’t an internal issue, but is still stump on what the infection actually is, gave me advice on what had worked for him, and now I’m just playing the waiting game

Thanks for the info mate, I’ll keep a close eye and see if I notice anything suggestion parasites/internal issues, pleco is acting same as usual as far as I can tell
If I wanted an advice on L numbers, I'd ask on Planet Catfish. This forum has thousands of years of combined pleco experience from active members. Great many pleco nuts go there. MFK does too have a pleco section. It'd be best to pose your question there.

Reactions: Theodore
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store