Need Advice

Dom Merc

Feeder Fish
Sep 19, 2018
New to hobby and recently got scrap pieces of 1/2” acrylic for a tank build. The biggest dimensions I can use are 4x2x2 with the pieces. I’m looking into hard hitting fish or rays. Would a pair or trio of rays be able to stay in the tank for the duration of their life with this size and are there any hard hitting fish which would thrive in this size for years to come. Any help is appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
New to hobby and recently got scrap pieces of 1/2” acrylic for a tank build. The biggest dimensions I can use are 4x2x2 with the pieces. I’m looking into hard hitting fish or rays. Would a pair or trio of rays be able to stay in the tank for the duration of their life with this size and are there any hard hitting fish which would thrive in this size for years to come. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome aboard

Tbh the build would be too small for any Ray specie. Hard hitting as a predatory specie?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Definitely too small for rays.

Welcome to MFK :)

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Agreed will get small for rays; not quite sure what you mean by hard hitting fish; mean cichlids perhaps?
4x2 is a decent size for mid-sized central American cichlids, a couple which are pretty badass and could live in here would be Nansopsis tetracanthus, or Istlanum. A pair would be good, just make sure to provide the female a way to escape. Keeping an extra female or two in the tank might be smart as well. I had my pair of Panamensis cichlids in a 4x1.5 tank, and the male ended up killing the female, even though they were the only fish in the tank, and the male was only 5" long. The pair was ok previously with some extra non-paired individuals in the tank. I believe this can be helpful, as well as either a divider or flowerpot with a female-sized hole that she can escape through, that the male is too big to get into

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store