Chalceus Erythrurus

k9plums

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 29, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK.
I just fancied sharing a few photos of our lovely Chalceus, this one we've had for almost 2 years, and was about the same size as a Guppy when we got it, now it's 8" - 9".024.JPG this one had it's fins all but destroyed with a previous owner, they haven't healed perfectly, but some of them I didn't think would have come back at all.023.JPG 030.JPG

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Beautiful! Let's make a chalceus thread Hendre Hendre

Reactions: k9plums

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Lovely fish! Probably sold mine close to two years ago, my tank was very bare at the beginning so it was jumpy as hell :(

Reactions: k9plums

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They're always jumpy, but a few of my fish are, so I've given them a bit of jumping room.
My tank is only 4ft, so not much space

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Mine's not much bigger, I would love to give them an 8ft at some point, but funds wont allow it yet.
Some are just super skittish IME regardless of tank size... ive had 3 for around 2-3 yrs now all in different tanks including one in an 8ft. 300... my largest in a 6' 230 smashes the walls any time im near the tank. The other 2 are calm as can be. 1 is even in a 4' long 180gal and not flighty at all. Just depends on each fish i guess. They do hate each other tho. id like a school but u need 6 or more to keep em from fighting.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

k9plums

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 29, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK.
Some are just super skittish IME regardless of tank size... ive had 3 for around 2-3 yrs now all in different tanks including one in an 8ft. 300... my largest in a 6' 230 smashes the walls any time im near the tank. The other 2 are calm as can be. 1 is even in a 4' long 180gal and not flighty at all. Just depends on each fish i guess. They do hate each other tho. id like a school but u need 6 or more to keep em from fighting.
I'd just like the extra footage just to give more distance to dart about. We got our second pretty badly injured by an Oscar, so our original one never saw it as a threat to dominance and they've been fine together for quite a while now (always keeping an eye out for aggression though). I had heard the magic number is groups of 13 or more for best results, I'd love a tropical pond big enough for a school like that.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have one about 8 inch for 2 year,starting at 4. It stays in the upper water column, never ventures down. I keep it solo with mostly cichlid. It was only skittish during the break in period, and is peaceful and calm with other fish. It hasn’t reached full size yet, which I read is a foot long.

Although peaceful with other fish, it’s hard to keep more than one in home aquarium. My friend kept 6 in a 6 ft 200 gal. They were constantly battled and locked jaw with one another, and is down to one left. Staying only near the surface precludes sight barrier and hiding from one another from conflict.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
they are a great top water fish, mine went from 3" to his current 10" in about 18 months. as mentioned by others though they can be almost violently skittish at times. if I throw a worm in my tank he is the first to get it everytime. they must be one of the quickest fish in the hobby with absolutely lightning fast reactions. very very peaceful with his tankmates but I did read that if you want more than one it's not wise to keep less than 5 or 6 as they will fight, often to the death.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store