Hair algae outbreak!

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
I have a 15 gallon tall planted tank and it suddenly got taken over by hair algae. I have the light on a timer for 8 hours daily and supply a daily dose of seachem flourish excel. I have the back and sides of tank covered where no additional light can get in. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I remove what I'm able to daily but that's never going to do anything for it apparently!

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Either adjust the brightness or try decreasing the photo period by an hour. If it is a low tech tank, do not increase fertilizer. There is no co2 to balance the light and fertilizer so more ferts will just increase algae growth.

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Either adjust the brightness or try decreasing the photo period by an hour. If it is a low tech tank, do not increase fertilizer. There is no co2 to balance the light and fertilizer so more ferts will just increase algae growth.
I'm glad you told me that because something I read said to in reader co2 and I was skeptical about that. I took an hour off the timer so we will see if that makes a difference first.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Apply hydrogen peroxide onto the algae. I spot treat once in awhile on my moss using a dropper...No need to empty tank.
The hydrogen peroxide won't harm any fish? I've also accumulated a little bit of the green algae but it is for some of my fish so would this bother it?

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Add amano shrimp, true Siamese algae eater, feed less, stock less, and less light
I didn't hear Amano shrimp can help along with other adjustments. I can pick some up this weekend. The closest fish stores to me that carry them in an hour away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store