My other addiction

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
That's what I've noticed as well. I really don't like the (insert color) & bronze deal either. Theyre just color variants of the same population. You can actually mix them if they came in the same import date which is just crazy to me.

The only breeders I have currently are the azureus. I took a huge hit this winter. I bumped the power cord to my heater before a left for a business trip. I lost my black foot Terribs, all but 1 orange terrib, suriname cobalts, bicolors, and all the growouts. I was able to bring back my male azureus from the brink of death.
Wow man....that really sucks!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Here's an update on my tank we couldn't get the stream flowing right but I'm still pretty happy with how it came out for my first vivarium.

View attachment 1332807 View attachment 1332808 View attachment 1332809
It's looks great. Those highland bronze have super nice colors. I think I'm going with a group of el cope auratus myself.

Can I offer some constructive advice? Instead of the moss cover (looks like sphagnum). Use a layer of crushed leaves (microfauna) on top of your substrate then put whole leaves on top of it. Sphagnum will make it too swampy and can cause foot rot. Not dogging it looks great. Just some advice from costly past mistakes

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
It's looks great. Those highland bronze have super nice colors. I think I'm going with a group of el cope auratus myself.

Can I offer some constructive advice? Instead of the moss cover (looks like sphagnum). Use a layer of crushed leaves (microfauna) on top of your substrate then put whole leaves on top of it. Sphagnum will make it too swampy and can cause foot rot. Not dogging it looks great. Just some advice from costly past mistakes
Thanks I'll swap the moss out soon.

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016

Why crushed? Whole leaves would provide more hiding spots for the frogs.

Also, just to clarify, microfauna are the microscopic fauna, not crushed leaves (I know you probably know that, I may have just read it wrong).

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Why crushed? Whole leaves would provide more hiding spots for the frogs.

Also, just to clarify, microfauna are the microscopic fauna, not crushed leaves (I know you probably know that, I may have just read it wrong).
Crushed leaves are for your springs & iso's. Then you put your whole leaves on top of that. Its creates more of a refuge for them. Just a trick some of the old timers told me about yrs ago. Sort of like tucking potato pieces under your litter or adding repashy "morning wood" (real name i swear).

Microfauna = crushed leaves? I appreciate you trying to be correct but come on man wtf? Haha

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
Crushed leaves are for your springs & iso's. Then you put your whole leaves on top of that. Its creates more of a refuge for them. Just a trick some of the old timers told me about yrs ago. Sort of like tucking potato pieces under your litter or adding repashy "morning wood" (real name i swear).

Microfauna = crushed leaves? I appreciate you trying to be correct but come on man wtf? Haha
I thought you meant only add crushed leaves... Makes more sense now. I just read it wrong.

You wrote:
Use a layer of crushed leaves (microfauna) on top of your substrate then put whole leaves on top of it. Sphagnum will make it too swampy and can cause foot rot.
(underline/colouring mine)

which looks like you are saying that crushed leaves are called microfauna, hence my reply clarifying that microfauna is not crushed leaves, but the microscopic organisms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store