I want to Breed a feeder for bigger fish

Piscavores:)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2018
Im thinking convicts so is there anyone who has a better idea? And how can i get them to breed faster. Also if anyone live in Houston an has an excess of convicts I’ll be happy to take em.(btw i tried jewels and they all jus killed each other)

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
Breed faster? Maybe have several tanks with a single female in each one then put the male in each one for a few days until they breed. Mine bred in about 2 days after being introduced.

Jig Pitcher

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2018
I bought a pair of convicts with this in mind. They bred within a couple days. Breeding them should be no problem it seems. But they take forever to grow big enough to feed. Most say at least a month, but they will still be a very small feeder at that age I believe. I have a batch of festae fry now that is one week younger than a batch of cons, but the festae are already twice as big as the con fry. It seems to me, if you don’t have several grow out tanks with different batches of fry, or maybe a huge pond, trying to raise feeders will be a struggle.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2018
My Fish aren’t big yet they’re only about 4 inches so it should be fine but thanks for the concern.:)
4” Oscar, Polleni
5”sunfish and green terror

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Instead of feeders, pellets insects shrimp and small cut up fish earth worms would be better.
But pellets should be about 90% of the food .I don't know what type of sunfish
you have but that Oscar and most sunfish are omnivores . There is no need to feed live fish to them.

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
My convicts were laying every 2 weeks like clockwork (sooner if I removed fry)... You don't want them to breed faster hahaha

If you're looking for a feeder, breed tilapia. They grow bigger/faster (especially if you get specific strains) and have more young.

I agree with Tony A. You don't need to feed live. There are very few species I can think of that would legitimately require it.

Reactions: Matteus and Tony A.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Tony A, neither oscars, nor polleni are really piscivores, in nature of course they never pass up an easy meal. So pellets would be more nutritious.
These cichlids would mainly be considered insectivores, so pellets, crustaceans, and insects would be a more natural choices.
Both species mouths are adapted to grabbing large tropical insects the hit the water.
To me raising earthworms, or mealworms (and using the beetle adults), would be a much more logical choice, and much easier to do in mass quanities, if set on live food (The live foods should be gut loaded with healthy stuff to get them comparable to the quality of pellets.)

IMG_0427.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1e6.jpeg

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2018
Thanks for all the ideas but the feeders would only be once a week and I already throw in any bugs I catch outside for the Oscar and I might breed mealworms now and once again thanks for the suggestion

Chaval

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
I bought a pair of convicts with this in mind. They bred within a couple days. Breeding them should be no problem it seems. But they take forever to grow big enough to feed. Most say at least a month, but they will still be a very small feeder at that age I believe. I have a batch of festae fry now that is one week younger than a batch of cons, but the festae are already twice as big as the con fry. It seems to me, if you don’t have several grow out tanks with different batches of fry, or maybe a huge pond, trying to raise feeders will be a struggle.
Thanks for the info good to know

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store