New tank, new dream. Advice needed

Xavior

Feeder Fish
Sep 21, 2018
Wife really wants an oscar, I rather think they are neat too. We have a brand new 4 footer 120 gallon and are trying to figure out stock. LFS has a 1 and a half inch oscar that we would want and like 4 silver dollars about the same size. The owner told us that the oscar would quickly be eating them and that really all we could really do is have an oscar by itself. We have an adult golden angelfish that would be one of the first into the tank. We figured if the oscar was well fed and grew up with his teammates he might be relaxed enough to not be a murder machine as everyone says

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
A four foot tank really isn't long enough for an oscar, how about a longear sunfish instead?
Provided you start with a smaller longear you could keep him with the goldfish

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
4' 120 in my opinion is just barely OK for an Oscar, but can't put much else in there then. Oscars are not that aggressive, and could probably live with any silver dollars too big to eat, but a 4' tank is kind of short for SD'd. I kept 3 of them in my 4' 90 gallon for a while and could tell they really need at least a 6 footer- they swim so fast, they were turning around every 3 seconds.
Angelfish is probably not a great idea with the Oscar, angels are pretty delicate wheras Oscars are rowdy. Probably won't go after the angel, but would definitely outcompete it for food, and generally make it uncomfortable.
Since you already have the angel- I'd recommend some geophagus instead of the Oscar. Much more peaceful, would work great with the angel, and are very pretty fish. Could add some more angels as well, and a school of cory cats or similar for the bottom.

Xavior

Feeder Fish
Sep 21, 2018
Geophagus are really pretty, the lfs guy suggested severums? Are Oscars really that bad, I only ever see them ignoring everything else and begging for attention like a dog

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Severum would be a better idea than the Oscar. The O isn't really a good match for more relaxed fish like the angel.
I would look at Buenos aires tetras as well. They would look better than silver dollars in a 4 foot tank, and could get a bigger group of them. With the severum, geophagus, angel, etc. Would look nice.

Reactions: kno4te

Xavior

Feeder Fish
Sep 21, 2018
The midas is cool, but she really prefers a south american only type of tank, I can't talk her into any African or Asian fish no matter how pretty they are. Will the severum be nice to like corydoras if she chose to do some of those? I am trying to convince her to do something different with our big tank. Our other setups include tetras corys and an angel and have been great. But I didn't really want to go big just have more numerous schools of the same old thing ya know!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The midas is cool, but she really prefers a south american only type of tank, I can't talk her into any African or Asian fish no matter how pretty they are. Will the severum be nice to like corydoras if she chose to do some of those? I am trying to convince her to do something different with our big tank. Our other setups include tetras corys and an angel and have been great. But I didn't really want to go big just have more numerous schools of the same old thing ya know!
definitely get that, I'd want to do big fish too :)
Severums should be OK with some of the bigger cory species. Oscar would be a no with the corys, they would try to eat them and the corys have dorsal spines that can choke larger fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store