payara id?

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
Can you guys help me id this hydrolycus sp? My lfs says that it is a scomb however im not sure whether it really is a scomb. Could it possibly be an armatus? I know armatus have an orange spot on their adipose fins. I kinda see some on this guy however its not that clearly seen.

Thanks!

IMG_7354.JPG IMG_7356.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That is definitely not a scomb so it is either an armatus or a tat.In the first photo it appears to have a gold sheen on the body which suggests it might be a tat which is what I think that it is.

Reactions: Matteus

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe tatauaia.

Reactions: Matteus

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
That is definitely not a scomb so it is either an armatus or a tat.In the first photo it appears to have a gold sheen on the body which suggests it might be a tat which is what I think that it is.
He does have a slightly golden sheen on him which made me think that he's not a scomb cause as far as i know scombs have a silver coloration to them. Could this probably be a mis-id on the fish?
Maybe tatauaia.
I have a tatauaia, he doesnt look like my tat though cause theyre about the same size and my tat already has a slight hint of orange/red on his tail now but i might be incorrect

IMG_7330.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Scombs tail fins are not shaped that way.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is it sure that he's a tat? What are the key distinct factors that made sure that this guy is a tat?
I have kept both fish in the past and we could be wrong on the identification but as I have already pointed out, in some of the photos the fish looks to have the gold sheened body,reddish colored fins except for the tiny caudal tail fin.In armatus the body is silvery grey with clear fins except for the big and small tail fin.The tail fin also should have a white edge or margin on the tail fin in an armatus in that size range.

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
Alr
I have kept both fish in the past and we could be wrong on the identification but as I have already pointed out, in some of the photos the fish looks to have the gold sheened body,reddish colored fins except for the tiny caudal tail fin.In armatus the body is silvery grey with clear fins except for the big and small tail fin.The tail fin also should have a white edge or margin on the tail fin in an armatus in that size range.
Alright thanks! I think i'll just pick up a vatf since i already have a tatauaia :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store