Hair algae outbreak!

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
The hydrogen peroxide won't harm any fish? I've also accumulated a little bit of the green algae but it is for some of my fish so would this bother it?
H2O2 will not harm any fish or plants...temporary fix and can be used as a preventive. I’d try to figure out what the issue is with lighting, ferts, photo period and being a taller tank as you mentioned, maybe not enough circulation.

I didn't hear Amano shrimp can help along with other adjustments. I can pick some up this weekend. The closest fish stores to me that carry them in an hour away.
Before you make that drive for shrimp, here’s something to consider:
Depending on what fish you have, shrimp are tasty morsels to many.

Having kept and bred shrimps, I never noticed them helping me out with the occasional bba, hair algae and gsa. They serve as my cleanup crew where they pick up uneaten food and scavenge on plants, wood and rocks for loose debris.

I’d add more plants to help absorb excess nutrients in the water.

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
All good points...many folks have problems because they don’t add enough plants into their display to outcompete algae. Most buy just a few plants, hoping they’ll grow in but it doesn’t work that way. You wanna start any planted tank with a ton of plants and get on a good fert and light regimen, then trim away the excess.

Also, flow is very important so adding a powerhead will help a ton. As far as a cleaner crew, I’ve experienced fastest results with a true Siamese algae eater for the kind of issue you’re having but they are for maintenance, not for fixing imbalances.

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon

TDOliphant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2018
Definitely find the imbalance. I've had luck with jordinella floridae aka flag fish. Really like hair and string algae.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
I appreciate all the information! I finally got the balance right in my tank. I do want to say that guppies are greatly underestimated for their hair algae eating capabilities as they picked my tank clean of it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store