What is on my blue German ram?

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
My blue German rams has spots on his head that almost looks like white works coming out. The spots don't move and do not has the cotton look that most fungus do. He was moved yesterday to the quarantine tank and I added tetra all in one treatment. Today I added the second dose but I can't tell if it is helping. No other fish from the tank have it and the spots are only on his head. He is acting as he always does and is eating well. Any suggestions?

KIMG3807.jpg KIMG3791.jpg KIMG3787.jpg KIMG3809.jpg KIMG3813.jpg KIMG3814.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My blue German rams has spots on his head that almost looks like white works coming out. The spots don't move and do not has the cotton look that most fungus do. He was moved yesterday to the quarantine tank and I added tetra all in one treatment. Today I added the second dose but I can't tell if it is helping. No other fish from the tank have it and the spots are only on his head. He is acting as he always does and is eating well. Any suggestions?

View attachment 1338161 View attachment 1338162 View attachment 1338163 View attachment 1338164 View attachment 1338165 View attachment 1338166

Possibly lymphocytes or something else viral.
duanes duanes
kno4te kno4te

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
looks like a virus or fungal infection. It isn't ich because that affects the fins, gills, and softer parts first, it might be a fungal infection, but it doesn't look fuzzy. I'm betting it's a viral infection because it doesn't look fuzzy, and it hasn't overtaken the tank like ich or something else would have

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
looks like a virus or fungal infection. It isn't ich because that affects the fins, gills, and softer parts first, it might be a fungal infection, but it doesn't look fuzzy. I'm betting it's a viral infection because it doesn't look fuzzy, and it hasn't overtaken the tank like ich or something else would have
Have you used tetra all in one before? I'm wondering if it will treat whatever it is. I'm on the second out of five treatments. I've just never incountered this before and my water parameters are great so I don't know what happened.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Possibly lymphocytes or something else viral.
duanes duanes
kno4te kno4te
Do you think the tetra all in one will treat it? It's a 5 day treatment and I'm only on the second day.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
fullsizeoutput_9ce.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9cd.jpeg I agree it looks to be Lymph, especially since its eating well.
The name columnaris refers to column like bacterial growths that look similar, but cichlids with columnaris usually reject food and just hover.
If a virus like Lymph, no medications are effective, only best water conditions possible, with low stress. Only time will tell
And just in its case bacterial, raised temps could be counter productive.
Tannins could help for that type tank, being anti bacterial in nature.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
View attachment 1338176 View attachment 1338177 I agree it looks to be Lymph, especially since its eating well.
The name columnaris refers to column like bacterial growths that look similar, but cichlids with columnaris usually reject food and just hover.
If a virus like Lymph, no medications are effective, only best water conditions possible, with low stress. Only time will tell
And just in its case bacterial, raised temps could be counter productive.
Tannins could help for that type tank, being anti bacterial in nature.
I raised the temperature of heater yesterday when I started treatment. They are in the quarantine tank with the cardinals they were housed with as I'm concerned on what is going on with the tetras (their displaying a entirely separate list of symptoms). I don't have an additional tank to separate the two different fish so would the medicine make the rams issue worse as I continue treating the cardinals?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If its Lymph, medication could be detrimental, because it increases osmotic pressure (stress) on these soft water (low osmotic pressure) evolved species, which need less stress to allow their immune system to succeed in fighting off the virus.
And because virus's are unaffected by medication anyway, whats the point of meds.
If it is "bacteria", that is a different story, then an antibiotic effective against whatever type bacteria (gram - or gram +), and "not raising temp" is best case scenario.
Taking a swab to the microbiology lab at a university near you, might be worth a try, because just by looking at a pic, it is nearly impossible to tell. Microscopy is a more reliable method.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Have you used tetra all in one before? I'm wondering if it will treat whatever it is. I'm on the second out of five treatments. I've just never incountered this before and my water parameters are great so I don't know what happened.
you mean API General Cure? Yeah I've used it before, it is good for most cases, but it doesn't seem to work with internal parasite IME

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Easily could be viral. To be honest. It doesn’t have the flat or cauliflower like lesion to it that suggests lymph but not everything is cookie cutter. Would dose with prazipro. Won’t hurt ur BB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store