White bullheads

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
About six weeks ago I collected some white bullheads and they have turned out to be great fish. about 1.5 inches when i caught them they are now about 3.5 inches and growing like weeds. They are already feeding from my fingers and swim around almost constantly in the day. Very pretty, chubby fish, voracious feeders and are fitting in well with my yellow and brown bullheads...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
About six weeks ago I collected some white bullheads and they have turned out to be great fish. about 1.5 inches when i caught them they are now about 3.5 inches and growing like weeds. They are already feeding from my fingers and swim around almost constantly in the day. Very pretty, chubby fish, voracious feeders and are fitting in well with my yellow and brown bullheads...
Personally never heard of a White Bullhead could you post a pic.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Screenshot_20181005-135628.png
prob these tlindsey tlindsey .... ive heard of em here in Ohio...southern ohio tho.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Yes, that is the correct fish, i provided a link in my OP, just click on the name white bullhead... They may have been introduced to Ohio but they are not native there. They are native to the East coast, they can get to be 18" or more and make good eating and are fun to catch. I'm not sure why they are called "white" they are really more of a dark grey with a white belly. Very active fish, remind me of a chubby channelcat..

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Spot on Moontanman Moontanman , ODNR states they were released many times in Ohio since the 1930's but we only have a small recurring population in the Ohio river.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
White catfish, we has some here in Maine. They are not native to Maine. Voracious feeders, I wonder what impact they have on the native fishes. The only other catfish we have here is the native brown bulkhead.
One of the distinguishing characteristics of white catfish is the 4 chin barbels are white in color, vs Brown in the bulkhead. Perhaps that is where white catfish get their name.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store