Central Taiwan Biotope Creation Log and Journal

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Judging by the photos it looks like a great stream to base your tank on, I would love to have that on my doorstep. Not too sure about the cichlid, but to me resembles a Trichromis salvini.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Judging by the photos it looks like a great stream to base your tank on, I would love to have that on my doorstep. Not too sure about the cichlid, but to me resembles a Trichromis salvini.
That was my initial thought but it had little to no coloration and there were a few of them. Maybe 4-5 of the same size.

Awesome idea, and great documentation so far! will be watching this thread. The cichlid looks like some sort of tilapia to me.
Oreochromis mossambicus are very well established in many water ways.
They may have migrated upstream.
Funny things is; this was the only pool out of about 8 that had cichlids in. And it was in the middle. Makes me wonder if someone didn't tire of their aquarium fish.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Nice! Looks like the fish favored the algae covered sections, as ap posed to the shaded sections, I would definitely do algae in your biotope!

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Nice! Looks like the fish favored the algae covered sections, as ap posed to the shaded sections, I would definitely do algae in your biotope!
The fish did seem to enjoy it. Yet, if there was current or water falling in to a pool, they seemed to prefer hanging out there and only using the algae mats when startled. And even then, only for a short time.
I think this may have to do with food washing into the pools via the current and the fish waiting for it. IN the video of Pool 2, near the end, a lot of debris is washed into the pool. This was caused by the dogs running across the top of the pool. The fish immediately started feeding on it as it washed into the pool.

Reactions: dan518

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
The fish did seem to enjoy it. Yet, if there was current or water falling in to a pool, they seemed to prefer hanging out there and only using the algae mats when startled. And even then, only for a short time.
I think this may have to do with food washing into the pools via the current and the fish waiting for it. IN the video of Pool 2, near the end, a lot of debris is washed into the pool. This was caused by the dogs running across the top of the pool. The fish immediately started feeding on it as it washed into the pool.
How much does this stream grow after rain fall, from the pics it looks quite a bit.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
How much does this stream grow after rain fall, from the pics it looks quite a bit.
Depending on the rainfall it can grow anywhere from a foot or two wider to a foot or two deeper. It fluctuates considerably. A lot more than most people would imagine.

I am aiming to get pics of these fluctuations.

During a typhoon the stream turns into a 6-8' deep torrential river. If you stand on a bridge above the stream you can hear and sometimes feel the large boulders rolling along the bottom.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Finally got around to siliconing the false bottom yesterday. It will be covered by the substrate so was not my neatest job so far.

Using black silicone can be a PITA. You see it on everything it touches. I broke a support panel that fell onto the floor, with black silicone on it. Not a fun clean up. Also glad I accidentally ordered 2 more than I needed as the spare was useful to have on hand.

The tank before getting cleaned and shop-vacced:
DSC00195.JPG

All the supplies I needed:
DSC00196.JPG

I laid the glass flat as it would in the tank:
DSC00197.JPG

Masking off the areas for silicone:
DSC00198.JPG
DSC00199.JPG

Siliconed support in place:
DSC00200.JPG
DSC00201.JPG

This will be hidden as well but you can see I had a small mishap. These bars will support the plastic grating on each end.
DSC00205.JPG
DSC00204.JPG

By the time I get home this afternoon the silicone would have cured for more than 27hrs so should be all good to finally test the false bottom.

Reactions: Hao

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I got around to doing a quick test to check how the false bottom worked. It went quite well.
Here are pics from this afternoon.

Putting it into the dry tank:
Half
P_20181011_123859_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Full
P_20181011_124033_vHDR_Auto.jpg

The circulation pump fit in.....just. Probably should have measured it first before decided to silicone side strips in place. But, all's well that ends well.
P_20181011_124321_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Top view. It is slightly forward....for now as the initial plan was to place outlet nearer the back to somewhat even the flow. But I am thinking a bit more on that. (Top of pic is front of tank).
P_20181011_124559_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Took a short video to see what the current was doing. Don't mind the piece of paper floating around:

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Looks like you have been busy.
Great idea for a project. I'm finding this thread very interesting.
I think it's great that you know so much about the biotope first hand and can collect materials right from the source.
You've got me hooked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store