Curing ICH without meds

Glenn238

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
What kind of fish are you treating some species won't like the high temps and will stress out pretty bad from the water temp and if you do increase the temp make sure you do it gradually and also if you have substrate in your tank make sure to gravel vac it well as the "ick" likes to stay in the substrate

Nelsonthefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
What kind of fish are you treating some species won't like the high temps and will stress out pretty bad from the water temp and if you do increase the temp make sure you do it gradually and also if you have substrate in your tank make sure to gravel vac it well as the "ick" likes to stay in the substrate
Just noticed my clown loaches (four) were all infected. I have two angelfish and one afro Arowana, neither seem to be exhibiting any symptoms. Water parameters are all in check, and the temp was roughly 78•f. I cranked the heater up to 84• (it’s 150 gallon so I don’t think it will spike too quickly).

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Crank water temp to 86. Add salt 1 tsp per g x3 6hrs apart. Do 50% water changes and add water 75g with 3tsp per gallon (75x3= 225 tsp or 1.1 liter)back into the tank. Leave like this for over 10days and should go away.

Add a powerhead to keep the o2 in the water.

Nelsonthefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
Crank water temp to 86. Add salt 1 tsp per g x3 6hrs apart. Do 50% water changes and add water 75g with 3tsp per gallon (75x3= 225 tsp or 1.1 liter)back into the tank. Leave like this for over 10days and should go away.

Thank you for all the advice! Power head and bubbler set up. Gonna buy some salt after work today. Quick question on the heat... how will I keep the heat from dipping during all those water changes?

image.jpg

Nelsonthefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018

Also, I’m not sure if it hocus pocus, but I’ve soaked a feeding last night and this morning with a little bit of garlic. Any truth behind that? Been seeing it quite a bit throughout the forum and google searches.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Also, I’m not sure if it hocus pocus, but I’ve soaked a feeding last night and this morning with a little bit of garlic. Any truth behind that? Been seeing it quite a bit throughout the forum and google searches.
Not that I’m aware for ich.

Reactions: Nelsonthefishguy

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is nothing wrong with blending a little water from the hot water tap when doing water changes.
When I lived in Milwaukee my tap water in winter was often below 40' F and only 50+' in summer, so I blended the hot cold for decades without a problem.
If you are concerned about mineral buildup from the water heater, drain some out of the heater unit from the low tap, until it feels like water (not viscous).
I found by doing a draw of about 2 quarts from the heater every 4 - 6 months, it kept mineral down.
Your water heater instructions recommend this anyway once or twice per year, to improve efficiency.

The heat of the water does not kill ick, it just speeds there life cycle allowing the salt to work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store