Jaguar cichlid

Rzimmer74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2018
Hello, I’m new to this site, I’m wondering if anyone can help me out with my baby jaguar. I have a baby jaguar with a baby green terror and he wasn’t doing to good in the beginning, probably because he was stressed and getting used to his new home, but he finally started coming out and loved being all over the tank, recently I moved my 8 inch green severum from my 120 to the tank with the jag and Green terror. I’m pretty sure my jag is just scared because the severum is 4x his size but just wanted to be sure if it’s normal for him to be hiding all the time and never coming out anymore, it’s been about 2 weeks. Is this normal or should I be worried?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
He is probably scared indeed, what size tank is this?
There are some things you can do to make the jaguar more comfortable; floating or overhanging plants in the aquarium for starters. Smaller dither fish can help bring shy fish out as well.
It is pretty normal for some young cichlids to be very shy; in the wild, those are the fish that would survive the constant attacks from birds and other predators.

Rogozhin75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2018
Does he have hiding places in the his tank? I have a baby Jag in with my haps and peacocks and he does very well (much better than when he was alone in a smaller tank).

Rzimmer74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2018
He is probably scared indeed, what size tank is this?
There are some things you can do to make the jaguar more comfortable; floating or overhanging plants in the aquarium for starters. Smaller dither fish can help bring shy fish out as well.
It is pretty normal for some young cichlids to be very shy; in the wild, those are the fish that would survive the constant attacks from birds and other predators.
I have him in my 75 gal until he grows up more, and where could I get some of the flouting plants and that’s stuff? Online best place or in store?

Rzimmer74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2018
Does he have hiding places in the his tank? I have a baby Jag in with my haps and peacocks and he does very well (much better than when he was alone in a smaller tank).
He does have a few hiding places, he seems to really like them. He still comes out to eat but he’s not eating as much as before, I’d guess because he’s scared but I’ll just let him grow out of it

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I usually get my plants in store, pennywort is a good tall-growing plants with lily-pad like leaves. Some water lettuce or duckweed on top can provide shade and comfort as well. Dwarf lillys are cool if you can find them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store