Looking to setup a 500+ gallon freshwater sump tank

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
The Vectra L1 is the largest that I know of that Ecotech makes. You’ll still get about 6x turnover with the M1, maybe a little less minus head pressure. How much turnover were you wanting?
I think I need at least 4x turnover. I'll be pushing at least 600 gallons of water with his setup, maybe as high as 800, so I'd like something that will turnover 3,200 gph at minimum minus head pressure as you mentioned... unless I go with a multi pump setup.

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
The Vectra L1 is the largest that I know of that Ecotech makes. You’ll still get about 6x turnover with the M1, maybe a little less minus head pressure. How much turnover were you wanting?
I think I need at least 4x turnover. I'll be pushing at least 600 gallons of water with his setup, maybe as high as 800, so I'd like something that will turnover 3,200 gph at minimum minus head pressure as you mentioned... unless I go with a multi pump setup.

Ryanthony01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2018
Sicce SYNCRA ADV 7 does 1900gph pulling 55w (at like 11ft) - 2x of those would get you what you are needing as far as turnover and they have the cheaper non controllable version or controllable version. I’d run 2 pumps for redundancy if you can swing it as a best option. Also they have new bumper design that keeps vibrations to a minimum. Sounds like you might not be a Sicce fan but I’ve been very happy with these new gen / newly released pumps.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
The vectra L1 would do 3100 gph but you’ll lose some to head pressure. I’d feel better with a multi pump system as you mentioned.

AGE is definitely going to cost more than GlassCages but I really like the finished quality of their product. They have some interesting tanks..like steel bracing or hybrid tanks that will save weight but give you Starfire viewing panels.

Have you looked into Crystal Dynamics? They also make some nice high end tanks

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
Sicce SYNCRA ADV 7 does 1900gph pulling 55w (at like 11ft) - 2x of those would get you what you are needing as far as turnover and they have the cheaper non controllable version or controllable version. I’d run 2 pumps for redundancy if you can swing it as a best option. Also they have new bumper design that keeps vibrations to a minimum. Sounds like you might not be a Sicce fan but I’ve been very happy with these new gen / newly released pumps.
I have no brand loyalty. I honestly don’t know a whole lot since I haven’t done a sump before. I’m just going on what I’ve heard. Want plenty of flow but also a very quiet system.

Reactions: narayanang76

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
The vectra L1 would do 3100 gph but you’ll lose some to head pressure. I’d feel better with a multi pump system as you mentioned.

AGE is definitely going to cost more than GlassCages but I really like the finished quality of their product. They have some interesting tanks..like steel bracing or hybrid tanks that will save weight but give you Starfire viewing panels.

Have you looked into Crystal Dynamics? They also make some nice high end tanks
I haven’t heard of Crystal Dynamics. Guess I’ll add that one to my list as well. AGE is one I’m looking into

Reactions: phreeflow

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Wow! You’ve got an awesome setup, Man! But aren’t the Laguna pumps for ponds? Do they work well for aquarium use? They look huge in the pics I saw so I’m wondering if space will be an issue?
As far as the glass vs acrylic debate, yeah, there are advantages to both. I just meant that from a business perspective, the reason many of the custom tank makers for large aquariums are pushing acrylic has more to do with their bottom line ( cheaper to ship and set up).
The plumbing part makes me nervous bc of my lack of experience in that area. I’m taking my time and trying to do it right. That being said, my Bala’s probably aren’t going to stop growing anytime soon.
Not sure what pix you are referring to, but if it's the pic of the gold pump, that's a Reeflo Hammerhead. Definitely a beast of a pump. That pump and several replacements leaked, so I returned those and ended up going with a submersible (a Laguna Max Flo 4200). It's the biggest model they sell (the newer version is the 4280). If your plan is to run a 125G sump, you'll have plenty of room. As I mentioned before, I would run two smaller pumps, versus one large pump. If you run one large pump, you're not going to end up saving any money because you should always have a back-up (replacement pump) on hand in case of failure.

It doesn't matter what a pump is marketed towards (ponds or aquariums); at the end of the day, they move water. You'll want something efficient, quiet and reliable and Lagunas check all those boxes. The "aquarium" version of the Lagunas is the Fluval Sea SP series if buying a "pond pump" is a concern. They use the same Askoll motor as the Lagunas, which is really nice quality. Mine has been running for 7 years straight and I've never even taken it out to clean it (although I know I probably should).

Those new Sicce pumps Ryan mentioned look good too, but since they are newer, they don't have a proven track record. I remember when all the cheap/knockoff DC variable speed pumps were first coming out and everyone was buying them. Turns out there were lots of issues/failures and some people lost fish they had kept for many years. I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig for something as important as the heart of your filtration system.

Since it sounds like you are looking to go 40" tall, I would make sure when you are getting quotes from builders (whether it's glass or acrylic), they clearly state the thickness of the sides, top and bottom of the tank so that you can make fair comparisons. The more reputable builders will use thicker material, which translates into higher cost. At 40" high, if you end up going acrylic I would say 1" should be the bare minimum thickness. I'm not sure about glass, but if it were me, I wouldn't even consider relying on a thin bead of silicone to hold 40" of water.

Balas do get big. There was a guy on here years ago that had some monsters that must have been 15"+. He would occasionally feed them pinky mice.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I would definitely consider a metal stand for the long run peace of mind as suggested. This will be something you'll have for years that will occasionally get wet. I created a wood wrap four panels and 3 doors that looks like cabinets around the metal stand. You could have more doors given your dimensions. The top and bottom are angles where the panels fit together at an angle like a puzzle . No magnets, no screws and holds together tight. I can post pictures if you're interested.

In terms of glass or acrylic; I have a 260 gallon with starphire. I would however consider acrylic for 500 gallons. But any glass builder that knows what they are doing aren't going to just rely a single bead. There's euro bracing for top and bottom if done right. It also helps that they use direct injection of silicone.

As others mentioned Herbie or BA done right will provide virtually silent drains. Since you are building custom consider internal overflow rather than external - depening how you have the tank positioned in your dining room. I do use an L1 for closed loop system and it's quiet.

Do some research and ask questions here. Many areany here that can and will help answer any questions.

Good luck and have fun.

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
I would definitely consider a metal stand for the long run peace of mind as suggested. This will be something you'll have for years that will occasionally get wet. I created a wood wrap four panels and 3 doors that looks like cabinets around the metal stand. You could have more doors given your dimensions. The top and bottom are angles where the panels fit together at an angle like a puzzle . No magnets, no screws and holds together tight. I can post pictures if you're interested.
Yes, I'm interested and seeing that. Can you post pics?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
aldiaz33 aldiaz33 brought up an important point, a 40” tall tank is going to cost you. The taller the tank, the thicker the material builders have to use so price goes way up. Definitely talk this point over with them when getting quotes

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store