Japanese trapdoor snail qwessins?

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hey all. I'm trying to think of something that can help get rid of any extra waste in my 125. Just swapped over to goldfish. It's a mix of baby fancies so they will be fed well to grow into big fat lards buahaha.

I know I have seen these snails a few times at the lfs.... So with that said:

- Lowest temp to keep these snails? There is a good chance the tank might get below 50° since it's on the patio. I have heard they can overwinter fine but is this true?
-Will goldfish eat them once they get full size? (10"+ goldies eventually.)
-Do they only eat diatoms or other fluffy algae? What about bba? The tank gets greenspot algae. I am not currently running the lights to save on my power bill.
-Any parameters I will need to consider? Like overly sensitive to nitrates?

Hmmm.

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
As far as the snails go, the ones in my ponds survived winter freeze. As long as you have gas exchange and the water doesn't freeze solid you will still have snails in the spring. They will eat any surface growing algea and scavenge decaying organics.

Snails help break down alot of waste but regular cleaning and maintenance is still required

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Ah. Was thinking fancies would still be like commons where they can hibernate a little. But now that I think about it their little insides must be mooshed weird since they look like little balloons so I bet they would be blocked up too much.

Good info.

Guess I'll have to build some real insulation or actually build that roof solar panel idea I had and keep the temp at at least 60. Meh. Mostly just gotta skimp on my power bill this winter as much as possible.

But anyways back to the snails. Mostly I will need an extra mouth or 2 to just pick up some leftover veggie skins when I'm at work or other noms that didn't get found. Hmmmm.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store