Flowerhorn not taking any food

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I tried the fresh shrimp on a string strategy. He didnt fall for it. He checks it out but then just swims away. Still excreting white poop. Maybe add another dose or two of metronidazole?

View attachment 1339763 View attachment 1339764
Could you find any ghost shrimp? I'd say try that, then if that fails get feeders that were quarantined and medicated and use them, and if that doesn't work, force feed him

Paolow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2018
I could not find any ghost shrimp in my place. I got a few feeders. Quarantined then medicated them. Placed them on the tank after a few days. He still ignores them. So im still doing daily forced feeding till now. Poop is still the same. After metronidazole, what would be the next drug of choice for this disease?

433116CF-45FF-443F-BD56-ED94FE3C7A52.jpeg 9F528252-847C-4570-AF72-DF5C63B11793.jpeg

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I could not find any ghost shrimp in my place. I got a few feeders. Quarantined then medicated them. Placed them on the tank after a few days. He still ignores them. So im still doing daily forced feeding till now. Poop is still the same. After metronidazole, what would be the next drug of choice for this disease?

View attachment 1340534 View attachment 1340535
praziquantel, you can get it in prazipro or in API general cure with some metronidazole also in it. Here are some I found that you might be interested in
  • Aquascape Praziquantel Treatment (Liquid)
  • Microbe-Lift Lice & Anchor Worm.
  • Microbe-Lift Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment
I would say do that and start to medicate him with praziquantel, if possible mix with some epsom salt, do force feedings with the medicine and epsom salt, try to use vitamin enriched foods for the feeding because if he hasn't eaten in awhile then he should eat something with a lot of vitamins and nutrients, to force feed him
1. get a hold of the fish if possible, if not, put him in a few inches of tank water
2. place a syringe/pipette gently into his mouth filled with the food and gently inject the food into his mouth, this is usually enough to get them eating
if this fails, then you may need to add airline tubing onto the pipette/syringe and put it down his throat and feed him that way

Reactions: Paolow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store