Why is my axolotls tail red

Help

Feeder Fish
Oct 20, 2018
She isnt even a year old and I never paid attention to the slightly red tail but now it is red can anyone help me why her tail Is red. I clean the tank every week I just need to work on cleaning the algae more20181020_121727.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
axolotls need a chiller ppl, water needs to be at least 68. They can live up to 30 years like that. Yeah, if you keep them in tropical temperatures they'll live for like 5, maybe 7 years. Strongly recommend keeping them in cold water to any axolotl keeper. Anyway, you have nothing special to worry about with this one. They need at least a 20 gallon too and you need to triple-filter the water if you aren't doing that already. They are not a beginner animal.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Agreed 100%.

If you have an unheated area in a basement this works well too. We keep our axolotl in a part of our basement where the temperature remains a steady 60F year-round. He's thriving.

Filtration is critical but it has to be very gentle. Any more than the slightest current will stress an axolotl and cause its gills to curl forward. Over time that stress affects their immune systems and renders them susceptible to infection.

To the OP, it does look like a simple case of the blood vessels being easily visible through thin, translucent skin.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
triple-filter the water
triple filter??? if your filter is working properly and your water parameters are correct then your done. I've kept and keep axolotls using a simple sponge filter with regular frequent water changes = 0 problems. please don't use such ubiquitous terms.
tail is red due to blood vessels as mentioned.

Reactions: Jacob92677
triple filter??? if your filter is working properly and your water parameters are correct then your done. I've kept and keep axolotls using a simple sponge filter with regular frequent water changes = 0 problems. please don't use such ubiquitous terms.
tail is red due to blood vessels as mentioned.
Did you run a chiller?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store