Electric Blue Carpintis Cichlid ??

Fishpimp76

Feeder Fish
Dec 16, 2017
I just got this little guy and know very little about him. I thought maybe a Texas but I have heard he's not. He's definitely fiesty but not a killer yet. Any info on this guy would be great. Max size, where it's from, what it is lol. I bought little bugger because I couldn't resist it's color and activity.

View attachment 1297864
I've got a electric blue Carpenter cichlid and it looks nothing like that I do believe that is a electric blue Jack Dempsey

slipshodman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Australia
If you look at your little fella in comparison to my Carpintis below you will see there is quite a difference, look at the young ones the same size, either hybrid or another fish entirely in my opinion

upload_2018-7-13_10-25-34.png

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

G.S.P.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2018
This is definitely a Herichthys otherwise known as electric blue carpintis. They are absolutely beautiful fish. They can get up to 12 incincies but rarely in a tank..more like 8-10 inches..they can hold their own with Flowerhorns if kept together...Tampa Bay Cichlids sells them and has been actively breeding them from a competition winning mated pair... anyone looking to get these should look there first as almost all of their Herichthys turn out looking stunning when they mature.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This is definitely a Herichthys otherwise known as electric blue carpintis.
Herichthys aren't otherwise known as electric blue carpintis. Herichthys is a genus, that includes several species, including, but not limited to, H. carpintis. Clearly most of us posting here understand that - the problem is that in this aquatic hobby there are crosses between some of the species within this genus, LOTS of them floating around out there. So posting a pic of a juvie fish, that was sold as an electric blue *anything*, is going to leave the door wide open as to what that fishes exact genetics are.

If you want quality fish, avoid generic pet store names, buy fish listed by their proper Latin name, and purchase from reliable sources.

Reactions: Jexnell

G.S.P.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2018
Herichthys aren't otherwise known as electric blue carpintis. Herichthys is a genus, that includes several species, including, but not limited to, H. carpintis. Clearly most of us posting here understand that - the problem is that in this aquatic hobby there are crosses between some of the species within this genus, LOTS of them floating around out there. So posting a pic of a juvie fish, that was sold as an electric blue *anything*, is going to leave the door wide open as to what that fishes exact genetics are.

If you want quality fish, avoid generic pet store names, buy fish listed by their proper Latin name, and purchase from reliable sources.
I'm basing it on my past purchsses...but I understand what your saying...I just saw several listings naming them electric blue carpintis...I had 4 of these a few years back and they were absolutely stunning looking fish...the picture the young one in this thread looks almost identical to the ones I had...they grew up to look just like the pics of adults in this thread.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I agree, the OP's fish does visually appear to be an H. carpintis, but unfortunately when common names, or made up trade names are used, such as electric blue, or Aztec, it tends to confuse many. That's why the OP came here asking. Ditto to Texas cichlid, Green Texas, etc. How difficult is it to just sell them as H. carpintis, when no provenance back to the wild is available. I guess that's not sexy enough for some vendors?

G.S.P.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2018
I agree, the OP's fish does visually appear to be an H. carpintis, but unfortunately when common names, or made up trade names are used, such as electric blue, or Aztec, it tends to confuse many. That's why the OP came here asking. Ditto to Texas cichlid, Green Texas, etc. How difficult is it to just sell them as H. carpintis, when no provenance back to the wild is available. I guess that's not sexy enough for some vendors?
They do this to help with sales.. although it's not needed as people can use their eyes to see what they like or don't like...I stumbled on to these back when I wanted a Flowerhorn...I've since moved onto Africans but the H. are just majestic looking fish..I got all 4 when they were barely an inch but when they hit 4-5 inches, their colors pop almost overnight..great fish too...not overly aggressive to other fish unless they are attacked first...I watched them tame a bigger and MUCH more aggressive male SRD Flowerhorn like it was nobody's business.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I own H. carpintis "Escondido", and I'm well aware of how beautiful they look, as well as their overall behaviour. I've also been around this hobby long enough to understand why vendors use made up trade names (this goes back several decades with all cichlids), but across the board these types of trade names don't help educate hobbyists, and in many cases simply add confusion. Something that is common in big box stores, and those who shop there, but generally frowned upon by more seasoned fish keepers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store