How low sanity can freshwater moray eels be kept in?

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I kind of want to get one of these brackish water fish, but If the salt is a little, I might be able to let the eel live with my jack dempsey in the growout tank by converting my jack Dempsey into a slight brackish water fish.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
There are some rare moray eels that love their entire lives in pure freshwater, talk to fugupuff fugupuff he sells them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I saw, but that eel grows too big for even the biggest tank I could have.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
My local fish store has a few species of "freshwater" eels for sale. I'll probably get one of those.

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Honestly all of them, I would go with micropterus (spl?) john_lord_b3 john_lord_b3
The best of morays to be kept in low brackish (below 1.010sg but above 1.005sg) are Echidna Rhodochilus (white-cheeked moray), Gymnothorax Polyuranodon (the true freshwater moray) and off course the aforementioned Uropterygius Micropterus (the snake eel). All three are difficult to find in the West, unfortunately.

The estuarine moray eel Gymnothorax Tile also has some tolerance for low brackish, but it is better kept in above 1.010sg (it is comfortable in 1.015-1.018sg).

The giant slender moray Strophidon Sathete has legendary tolerance for various salinities, but it is not recommended for aquarium (maximum length 4 meters!).

People asked me, what if they want to keep moray eel but space is limited and they want it to be a brackish water aquarium. Usually I will recommend either the snake eel or the spaghetti eel Moringua Raitaborua, which is a kind of miniature moray eel and could be kept in low brackish. But I heard this eel is also rather rare in the West.

Here are the Strophidon and the Spaghetti eels:

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store