big tank build need advice

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
I have a 150 gallon tank have been thinking about doing the same with either turning it into a corner tank using the 2 7' glass pains as viewing panels in an L shape configuration 1000+ gallons or just 1 7' pain for one tank front viewing panel around 400-500 gallons could make 2 tanks this way. however the glass pains on this 150 I have are 1/2"-3/4" I haven't taken an exact measurement yet.

But as stated above ether of these options would still be to small for a rtc even at 4' deep and 30" tall. you might could do a tiger shovel nose and a smaller gar with at set up like this.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have a 150 gallon tank have been thinking about doing the same with either turning it into a corner tank using the 2 7' glass pains as viewing panels in an L shape configuration 1000+ gallons or just 1 7' pain for one tank front viewing panel around 400-500 gallons could make 2 tanks this way. however the glass pains on this 150 I have are 1/2"-3/4" I haven't taken an exact measurement yet.

But as stated above ether of these options would still be to small for a rtc even at 4' deep and 30" tall. you might could do a tiger shovel nose and a smaller gar with at set up like this.
or get a few oscars and some other cichlids, I have wondered that myself, can I have a tank that's really long and wide but fairly shallow made with standard glass or will that not work?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden

You wont be able to house a tiger shovelnose in a tank like that either. The can grow to 100cm wich is a massive fish. If you wanna go with some catfish that might fit in a tank like that i would go with a sorubim lima or maybe a juruense or a tigrinum but the two later are expensive fishes. I cant understand why people in america is so in love with tankbusters as rtc or tsn. And alligatorgars wich reaches 2m in lenght without problems. They reaches 1m within the first year of living

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
You wont be able to house a tiger shovelnose in a tank like that either. The can grow to 100cm wich is a massive fish. If you wanna go with some catfish that might fit in a tank like that i would go with a sorubim lima or maybe a juruense or a tigrinum but the two later are expensive fishes. I cant understand why people in america is so in love with tankbusters as rtc or tsn. And alligatorgars wich reaches 2m in lenght without problems. They reaches 1m within the first year of living
TSN at 3' (if it ever even truly reaches that length) I wouldn't see a problem with one in the L shape tank I mentioned but would never put one in the 500 gallons i mentioned.

I do agree that alligator gars have no business in a tank of any size less that 10,000 gallons+ or a very large pond same as the arapaima gigas.

When I first started here I really wanted a RTC and an Alligator Gar But quickly realized i would never have one in a tank but maybe a pond one day.

By no means am I anywhere close to being able to keep any of the mentioned fish above. I still have a lot to learn and need to work towards a home that may allow this at some time but it will be years down the road.

I will say though thanks to this site I will not be putting Bala Sharks, Clown Loaches, Tinfoil barbs, largemouth bass, or Fire eels into an 100 gallon tank like I have contemplated.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
TSN at 3' (if it ever even truly reaches that length) I wouldn't see a problem with one in the L shape tank I mentioned but would never put one in the 500 gallons i mentioned.

I do agree that alligator gars have no business in a tank of any size less that 10,000 gallons+ or a very large pond same as the arapaima gigas.

When I first started here I really wanted a RTC and an Alligator Gar But quickly realized i would never have one in a tank but maybe a pond one day.

By no means am I anywhere close to being able to keep any of the mentioned fish above. I still have a lot to learn and need to work towards a home that may allow this at some time but it will be years down the road.

I will say though thanks to this site I will not be putting Bala Sharks, Clown Loaches, Tinfoil barbs, largemouth bass, or Fire eels into an 100 gallon tank like I have contemplated.
Take a look at this guys tigers they are over 3' they get that big.

Beast020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
Take a look at this guys tigers they are over 3' they get that big.
I believe you that they can get that big but what I have read on them has suggested that them getting that big Isn't a common thing. but if it is more common then i have been lead to believe than i agree the tanks suggested are to small.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I believe you that they can get that big but what I have read on them has suggested that them getting that big Isn't a common thing. but if it is more common then i have been lead to believe than i agree the tanks suggested are to small.

They do get big and are a quite active swimmer. I think thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter can shime in on that to he has one or two of them.

Reactions: Beast020

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They do get big and are a quite active swimmer. I think thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter can shime in on that to he has one or two of them.
Here is our TSN thread. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...f-tsn-runts-dinks-and-co.673687/#post-7569805

I'd pay particular attention to wednesday13 wednesday13 posts on anything TSN related as he is in my eyes the top resident expert on TSN on MFK.

You needn't worry that your random TSN will break 24"-30". 99.999% of the TSN we get are refuse.

As for the tank build beau1990 beau1990 if the water height and the length of the unsupported glass are the same as in a 55 gal - the glass will experience the same stress as in a 55 gal tank.

Just build a wooden frame to hold the front 3 pieces of glass with posts holding each 55 gal panel and tie them back to the back of the tank and you'd be fine IMHO.

Each 4 foot long 55 gal tank has too a plastic brace in the middle for extra peace of mind. I would not skip that either in your design but note it requires no obstruction of the visible portion of the glass, that is no need for a post in the front... but if you install one, you will be extra, extra, extra safe from glass breaking due to water pressure. It still can break if you don't level the stand perfectly.

Reactions: Beast020

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
You build a 20’ long 6’ wide tank with 1/4 inch glass viewing panels?
It will break ...

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
so let me get this right? I can take the panel from a 6 foot long 120 gallon tank and have it be 6 foot by 6 foot and have it be a plywood/concrete tank and it will work or would I need thicker glass

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store