Long Stringy Red Poop From Honey Gourami

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
1. Yesterday, I noticed that one of the three Honey Gouramis I bought the same day had this long red stringy poop hanging from it. It still is attached currently.

2. It has a long red stringy strand of poop hanging from it. It also is pretty skittish and darts.

3. I haven't tried any treatments yet as I am not sure what exactly this is.

4. 20g I took down a while ago due to algae and re setup a week ago. 11 Neons, 3 Platies and 3 Honey Gouramis

5. Roughly 50 percent on a weekly basis.

6. I took it down a while back because of really bad algae and resetup a week or so ago. I used the same filter the whole time. I have gravel about 2 inches deep.

7. No I use dechlorinator.

8. 8.0 PH, No Ammonia and Nitrites. I use tap water.

9.Added 5 Neons and 3 Honey Gouramis a day ago.

10. Hikari Micropellets twice daily about a pinchful each time.

edit- "I checked again just now and it seems to have fallen off. At the same time, one of my Platies had a red poop attached. This one was thicker and the strands much more closely attached. It looked like a bunch of red Cichlid pellets stuck together. However, it fell off a few minutes later. "

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'm not a pathology expert, but I did want to make sure you got your pic shared. Hopefully someone like RD. RD. will chime in soon and help you get squared away. :)

Reactions: imabot

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Could you please edit this into my post at the top?

"I checked again just now and it seems to have fallen off. At the same time, one of my Platies had a red poop attached. This one was thicker and the strands much more closely attached. It looked like a bunch of red Cichlid pellets stuck together. However, it fell off a few minutes later. "

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Could you please edit this into my post at the top?

"I checked again just now and it seems to have fallen off. At the same time, one of my Platies had a red poop attached. This one was thicker and the strands much more closely attached. It looked like a bunch of red Cichlid pellets stuck together. However, it fell off a few minutes later. "
Done

Reactions: imabot

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
If its the same color as the food you're feeding i would reccomend fasting a day or two. Long clear poops are an indicator of parasites and or infection. Long poops the color of his feed indicates a constipated over fed fish... At least with goldfish it does. Goramis are not goldfish tho

Reactions: imabot and Matteus

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Also if they are constipated you can try to soak the pellets a bit before feeding so they break down better.
This is why I feed a gel food. Pellets offer execllent nutrition in a compact form but dry foods can often cause digestion issues for aquatic critters. At least in my experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store