NOTICE

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
The site has gone off the rails. It's crashing and burning. We've lost the core of what we're supposed to be as a community. I accept my due culpability in allowing this to happen; I've been happily talking about tigerfish and working on my photo contests for a long time, blissfully unaware of the problems.

MFK has survived as long as it has because it had earned a reputation as a repository of extremely high quality, reliable information. We are supposed to be the elite of the freshwater fish keeping hobby, the absolute top tier of both performance and knowledge. It has been brought to my attention that MFK has lost this reputation, and is now considered something of a joke in the greater aquarium community. I will not allow this slide into obsolescence to continue.

The main problem on this forum is now what I call "facebooking". In my eyes, this is the rapid influx of new members over the past 18 months or so as a result of our very successful social media campaign to refresh the member base. It has worked more or less; there are a ton of new and active members, the majority of whom fit right in. I love all of these rookies, y'all are wonderful.

But then there's the very small, extraordinarily vocal group who does not. These are mostly younger males who are all enthusiasm with very little knowledge to back it up. There's a common complaint being brought up to me that these new kids are giving bad info, presenting themselves as experts when they clearly are not, and generally harming the quality of content on the forum by giving advice on things they have no experience with, then arguing with experienced members when they are corrected.

This is where the problem arises. Our longer term, experienced members are growing frustrated and leaving the community en masse, which will kill this website. When our expertise leaves, we cease to be relevant, traffic will drop, and boom; bye bye MFK.

Several members keep being mentioned to me in the deluge of PMs I have received since starting to attempt to handle these issues recently: Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 , fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 , white specter crayfish white specter crayfish . I have spoken at length to all three of these members. Viper and fishhead seem to hear what I'm saying, and have affirmed that they'll get with the program. I believe them.

WSC I'm not so sure about, and has been placed on probation status until he can demonstrate the ability to play well with others.

If there are issues, report them to me. I will moderate as needed. Tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to go through in order to attempt to clean up some of the more irrational and strange threads to have popped up recently.

We as a community need to get back to our roots: keeping ]\/[onster fish, being hyper dedicated ]\/[onster keepers and helping one another learn. If one wants to present themselves as an expert without having to do any of the work required to earn that right, then run off to Tetra Forums or Facebook or something, that nonsense isn't needed here.

Time to focus MFK. It's ok to get things wrong, everyone does; but the continued intentional spread of false information on this website will not be tolerated.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Good post. Outlined many key points that I’m sure most of us are feeling. I feel that there should be a few more moderators added to the forum that can remove/edit the BS that’s being spewed. A couple names that come to mind would be R.D, Krichardson, and Duane’s if they accept the responsibility.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
PM'd you

Maybe we can add badges to identify members who are experienced in care for a type of fish like catfish and/or different kinds of equipment like sumps.
I'm not mad at this idea, but it's not feasible. Any more than four displayed stretches the forum, so I'm trying to keep it limited.

Good post. Outlined many key points that I’m sure most of us are feeling. I feel that there should be a few more moderators added to the forum that can remove/edit the BS that’s being spewed. A couple names that come to mind would be R.D, Krichardson, and Duane’s if they accept the responsibility.
This is something I'm actively working on as we speak.

MississippiNick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2018
I'm a noob here, and maybe I have missed this facebooking, but I find this such a valuable resource of knowledge I rarely need to post as the answer to my questions is just the search function away! This place is absolutely great for those of us who may know a bit about the care of a few species we spent a lot of time with , but next to nothing about others. The members have seemed friendly and helpful as well.

in other words, this is a great site!

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
PM'd you

I'm not mad at this idea, but it's not feasible. Any more than four displayed stretches the forum, so I'm trying to keep it limited.

This is something I'm actively working on as we speak.
Add DLOKS to the list as well. Need more moderators who call out BS when they see it. To often poor quality threads and info are left

Reactions: Dloks

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Minor question. If we see a thread that belongs in another section, is it okay to report the 1st post commenting something like "should be in X subforum"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store