Methylene Blue

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I don't know what happen to the back mybe it tried to jump and hit the glass lid and injured the back. for the methylene blue dosing every day wont the water be blue? I see people just dose once and wait 3 days. that's why im confused on the dosing part
Like a lot of meds, it will discolor your water, maybe your silicone, and possibly other decor. As to the dosage, I agree those instructions sound unclear. Some meds like malachite green need to be dosed daily to maintain the proper concentrations but it’s possible methylene blue doesn’t “wear off” and need daily dosing. Do yourself a favor and just ask a vet to do a biopsy or at least contact Kordon about proper dosage if your intent on using that stuff. I wouldn’t trust just anyone one a forum if you’re that concerned. But like it was mentioned, it’s best as a bath if you need it. It’ll kill good bacteria as well so you’ll have to keep an eye on your water for a mini cycle.

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
k so I added the meds on sunday, and im going to be changing my water on Tuesday 30%. do I just add the amount of meds according to how many gal of water I take out? so If I take out 40 gal I add back 4 teaspoon is that correct?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
k so I added the meds on sunday, and im going to be changing my water on Tuesday 30%. do I just add the amount of meds according to how many gal of water I take out? so If I take out 40 gal I add back 4 teaspoon is that correct?
Hello; I have over a few decades tried MB in different ways. As wrote in a previous post the blue color of the water starts out dark and fades a bit over a few days. My take has been that the MB which is a dye is taken up by things in the tank. Early on it was suggested to remove things like carbon and organic material from a tank to be treated. I guess the mechanism is that as things get stained the MB still in the water is less. But as long as there is blue color there is some still in the water. This MB being taken up by stuff is why I like to treat a fish in a clean bare tank and not in a community tank. So how to judge the dose after a few days can be just a guess. I always tried to go some by the color.

On to another theme. Yes if you change out 30% of the water then to keep a concentration you must add some more MB.

It is not clear but seems you added the MB to a community tank. Bound to be a lot of organic material, substrate, décor and other stuff some of which will take up the MB and take it out of the water. So hard to know if you will have the effective dose.

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
I don't really have a hospital tank to hold my jardini since its the only fish in the main tank and kinda big so a bucket wont work so I rather dose it in the main tank.

theres no decor in the tank except sand.

another question is, can you test the water parameter if the water have MB in it? or it will mess up the result? I know that the MB will kill my bacteria in my filter that's why I want to keep an eye on the water parameter.

sorry if I ask so many dumb question this my first time using MB and I want to do it the right way and don't want to kill the fish by doing it wrong

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
theres no decor in the tank except sand.
Hello; In my experience sand will be loaded with organic matter. Fish waste and excess food if nothing else. Never added MB to a tank with sand so you may wind up with blue sand.

I don't really have a hospital tank to hold my jardini
Hello; I understand this.

can you test the water parameter if the water have MB in it?
Hello; Good question. At the least the MB will alter the color of the test results if using a liquid test kit. If using strips then I do not know. I do not know the answer to this.

my first time using MB and I want to do it the right way and don't want to kill the fish by doing it wrong
Hello; You were given several warnings about the MB killing off the beneficial bacteria (bb) if you added it to a display tank. Since you already did so against this advice you will have a problem. It seems very likely you will kill the bb and will be starting a new cycle from scratch later on.

There was a way to avoid this problem and I hope you did this. You could take all the media out of the filter and keep it in a bucket of tank water for a few days. Just keep it wet and throw in a bit of fish food to rot and this should keep the bb alive for a while. Then when you put the main tank back up you can replace the media in the filter. If you did not do this then you may have a problem bigger that the one this thread was started about.
Of course if there is disease in the tank then it may be harbored in the filter media.

All in all it may not make much difference what you do if the fish has black spot disease.
Black spot disease is spread by birds, and carried by snails. In freshwater fish there is no real treatment, you have to simply wait it out & make sure that the cycle cannot repeat itself. (do not keep snails with infected fish
Good luck and as stated by another it is good you have tried to help the fish. Sometimes there is not much we can do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store