Frontosa stuck at the bottom

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
I bought a big Burundi front with an unknown (didn’t look to close) swim bladder issue. He is stuck on the bottom. Eats fine and seems to be ok however after numerous attempts and treatment (salt, peas,epsom salts) there is really no change. Wonder if this issue will eventually work itself out? Is there any other treatments I could try? Can a frontosa live like this? Gotta suck for him but he does not seem bothered and is otherwise healthy so just curious. Nobody seems to bother him as he is not really a threat

8439D8CF-DA1E-425E-B699-EE69750990AC.jpeg 645A6CD6-7FC4-4E77-BF94-4B49733D63CD.jpeg

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Idk it could just be stress and being pushed around by the other frontosa that have already established a "ranking" if he isnt sick. You could dim or lesve the lights off for a little while. Possibly give him a few new hiding spots to seek refuge while he gets comfortable. Hope he does well, good luck

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Idk it could just be stress and being pushed around by the other frontosa that have already established a "ranking" if he isnt sick. You could dim or lesve the lights off for a little while. Possibly give him a few new hiding spots to seek refuge while he gets comfortable. Hope he does well, good luck
Not stress. His fins are untouched and eats out of my hand. Just strangely stuck at the bottom...

60D61686-6DD1-475C-A128-E6D00C70BC88.jpeg A8EAEDD6-E056-4CD5-9657-E3931AA158F6.jpeg 75236F40-C577-4D18-85ED-AB5459346FAF.jpeg

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I had a large black Calvus 2 years ago that had the exact same issue. I bought him from a local guy and when he dropped him off here he said he was just stressed from being in the bag, but that was not the case by any means. I tried everything to figure out what was wrong with him, treated him with salt and a couple other things and finally after a couple months I just couldn't stand seeing him scoot along the bottom any longer and just put him down. I think it must have been some sort of swim bladder issue that just wouldn't get better.

Reactions: tlindsey

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
I had a large black Calvus 2 years ago that had the exact same issue. I bought him from a local guy and when he dropped him off here he said he was just stressed from being in the bag, but that was not the case by any means. I tried everything to figure out what was wrong with him, treated him with salt and a couple other things and finally after a couple months I just couldn't stand seeing him scoot along the bottom any longer and just put him down. I think it must have been some sort of swim bladder issue that just wouldn't get better.
Thanks and sounds like the same thing. Feel bad putting him down as he seems like a generally happy fish otherwise but likely that is the right thing to do.

DOOB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2018
toronto canada
steves right. click on the link below the vid in that post. its a cichlid forum that describes ur issue and a couple possible remedies. some never come back but still live out full lives. (if u can call that a full life) good luck. my ex wife never had issues expelling trapped air LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store