Panther crab

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Hi folks,

Anyone here keep panther crabs (Parathelphusa pantherina)? I recently bought two tiny ones and would like some advice.

First of all, freshwater or brackish? I came across one source that recommended slightly brackish water for freshwater crabs, but can't find it now and most other sites say this species is freshwater. Then again, seller sites sometimes make certain species sound easier to keep than they actually are. (Aquatic Arts actually says that they are "friendly with their own species and may be kept in groups together" when WWM says they get can get very aggressive.) So anyone here keep them in a brackish tank?

Second, mine are 1.5-2 cm juveniles and are getting along just fine for now. At what size/age can I expect them to mature and become aggressive, if they do? Because I can't justify devoting a huge aquarium for these two tiny crabs if they're not even close to needing it yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hi folks,

Anyone here keep panther crabs (Parathelphusa pantherina)? I recently bought two tiny ones and would like some advice.

First of all, freshwater or brackish? I came across one source that recommended slightly brackish water for freshwater crabs, but can't find it now and most other sites say this species is freshwater. Then again, seller sites sometimes make certain species sound easier to keep than they actually are. (Aquatic Arts actually says that they are "friendly with their own species and may be kept in groups together" when WWM says they get can get very aggressive.) So anyone here keep them in a brackish tank?

Second, mine are 1.5-2 cm juveniles and are getting along just fine for now. At what size/age can I expect them to mature and become aggressive, if they do? Because I can't justify devoting a huge aquarium for these two tiny crabs if they're not even close to needing it yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
You should research before you buy them. What did the place you got them from say about keeping them? Seems like they should know if they were selling them. Sorry to sound like that guy but........

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I know that. I wouldn't buy an animal without doing some research first! But the two sites that came up at the top of Google search were seller sites and made them sound pretty low-maintenance. And the people at the store knew nothing about them. I've done a lot more research since then but came across some conflicting info. Hence my questions. Anyone have more pertinent advice?

Reactions: TheWolfman

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tanganyikan panther crabs are a freshwater species which are fairly easy to keep.

Canoeist

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2019
Any updates on your panther crabs? Do they require a basking area? I would like to give them a try.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store