What all do you feed your fish

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
This is something I have thought of, this is not a proven method, nor do I say this is the right way to do things. But I would love to hear how others go about this.

I have over the years always tried to find ways to feed fish the food that would be as close as to the diet in their natural environment.

Pellets does make life easier with respect to feeding, but spoils water quicker, especially with messy eaters, which are most fish of mine.

Live foods are quite risky especially since they create an opportunity to introduce parasites in our tanks.

The fish I keep, I categorise them as piscivores, insectivores and species that need crustaceans also in their diet.

My insectivores such as arowanas, archers and Channa on the other hand are fed mainly on insects and fish meat and macrobrachium shrimp I feed once in a month.

For the piscivores such as Dorado, bichirs, datnoides, knife fish, gars, catfish, I go for fish fillet, only the mid spine and the scales are removed, the skin and the smaller spines are left along with the meat. The meat then is cut based on the size of the fish.

Now I am of the opinion that since the fish I keep are freshwater, I should only feed them freshwater fish or shrimp meat. I have tried to find any scientific research on this to prove my theory, but there's not much to conclude this. Even then my thoughts are as the fish are never gonna get saltwater fish meat in their natural environment, why to give them. I am open to others opinions on this.

My bottom dwellers mainly receive fish fillet, but I also regularly add freshwater shrimp to their diet.

Some special fish such as eels get mainly shrimp, my puffers get crabs, snails.

All goods I feed are frozen for atleast a few days before being thawed and fed, one of the ways to see that the parasites are killed.

As the thread got a bit too winding a few pics of live cultures

Reactions: tcav88

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Live culture boxes
IMG_20181114_214407.jpg

IMG_20181114_214336.jpg
Lobster roaches

IMG_20181114_211516.jpg
Madagascan hissing roaches

IMG_20181114_211251.jpg
Madagascan giant roaches

IMG_20181114_211050.jpg
Madagascan striped roaches

IMG_20181114_211137.jpg
Superworms beetles

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I do a good pellet 95% of the time. I have not had issues with New Life Spectrum nor NorthFin.
Maybe some raw shrimp very sparingly. I hatch baby brine shrimp if the fry are really really small.
I don't want to mess around with "wild" foods that could have diseases and it just seems to be too much work.

Reactions: headbanger_jib

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ive been feeding pellet and flake blends from aquatic foods inc. Usually a mix of blackworm, earthworm, veggie, and shrimp pellets and flakes. I like this company for many reasons, but chiefly because you can customize your blends and buy in bulk, the prices are very reasonable, and all my fish love their stuff.

Ive had a hard time getting all my fish to accept nls or hikari. All of my catfish seem to love hikari sinking carnivore pellets though. I will agree that hikari clouds up the water if left uneaten.

I had a small earthworm colony last year but demand outgrew supply eventually. I may try to set up a larger one this year.

Frozen bloodworms occasionally for a treat.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Ive been feeding pellet and flake blends from aquatic foods inc. Usually a mix of blackworm, earthworm, veggie, and shrimp pellets and flakes. I like this company for many reasons, but chiefly because you can customize your blends and buy in bulk, the prices are very reasonable, and all my fish love their stuff.
that's neat

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
If it can take a pellet I go that route. Otherwise mainly nightcrawlers, dubia roaches, tilapia fillets soaked in vitachem, crawfish, clams, shrimp, crabs, or clean feeder fish.

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
I feed my fish pellets and bloodworms. Occasionally I feed tilapia, scallops, dried fish, cockroaches and on rare occasions, snakehead fry if they are available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store