Fish everybody should keep atleast once in their lifetime?

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I say a Pleco. And NOT a common Pleco. There is something out there for everyone! So many sizes, colors, shapes, fin lengths. Everyone getting into the hobby usually has one (for the wrong reasons) but I think everyone can enjoy a Pleco. Simple to keep and some can even spawn in the aquarium =)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Honestly. I would say killifish.

The process of watching my F gardneri eggs develop and hatch was so cool! I even watched one hatch under a microscope. There are loads of species and the colours are hard to beat!

Bad photo, these guys are too quick. They never stop!
IMG_20181104_201053.jpg

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I don't do Western world cichlids any more, but that is what got me hooked on tropical fish when in high school. Convicts and Jack Dempseys and Severums spawning and caring for their fry.

troublesum

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
Me personally i would love a back nasty but what i would really like to keep would be shell dwellers watch them breed and move their shells around would be cool to watch

Reactions: tlindsey

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
My first thought was Jack Dempsey but after thinking on it it would have to be an Oscar. In my more than fifty years of keeping fish I have had just about everything at one time or another. Oscars were one of the first fish I ever kept and because of that experience I gained a love for keeping aquariums that has stayed with me my entire life. Adults can be a little demanding due to the amount of waste they create but they are worth the effort.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
My first thought was Jack Dempsey but after thinking on it it would have to be an Oscar. In my more than fifty years of keeping fish I have had just about everything at one time or another. Oscars were one of the first fish I ever kept and because of that experience I gained a love for keeping aquariums that has stayed with me my entire life. Adults can be a little demanding due to the amount of waste they create but they are worth the effort.
+1

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store