Zebra vs carapo?

mattmez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Coal City IL
tvbbnumber41 tvbbnumber41 Looks to me like a Gymnotus mamiraua. The "zebra" name is a very broad spectrum. There isn't a defined species as a "zebra knifefish". Carapo on the other hand has a very similar pattern, but the diagonal lines seem to dissipate when it comes closer to the dorsal.

Peace!

mattvmez

Reactions: tvbbnumber41

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
tvbbnumber41 tvbbnumber41 Looks to me like a Gymnotus mamiraua. The "zebra" name is a very broad spectrum. There isn't a defined species as a "zebra knifefish". Carapo on the other hand has a very similar pattern, but the diagonal lines seem to dissipate when it comes closer to the dorsal.

Peace!

mattvmez
according to seriously fishy the zebra knife is the Gymnotus pedanopterus
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/gymnotus-pedanopterus/

but there is also the Macanan Zebra Knifefish (Gymnotus anguillaris)

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
I wouldn't trust any websites with Gymnotus information. Somehow, the common name "zebra knifefish" got attached to the scientific name Gymnotus pedanopterus. This was a mistake that somehow has really stuck.
The true zebra knife is Gymnotus tigre (see photo) and it has the most distinct color pattern of any Gymnotus.
G_tig.jpg
Gymnotus pedanopterus really doesn't look very distinct and as far as I know it has never been exported as an aquarium fish. Unfortunately, there isn't really a great resource for telling all of the gymnotus apart. Many of them are separated by very subtle differences in head shape or bones.

Reactions: Bonytang

mattmez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Coal City IL
blackbullhead blackbullhead I second you! The "common" names are given and mistaken way too much in the aquarium hobby. I have heard Gymnotus tigre called the Zebra Knife, a Tiger Knife, a banded knife, etc. I think, anymore, its only fair to classify these fish by their given names. Still IMO, they are the most interesting species in the trade. Love to hear people debating about them. Even the exporters in SA themselves cannot correctly classify these fish. I love it!

mattmez

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store