Channa Micropeltes

Monstarr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2018
I'm looking for some care advice on channa micropeltes from people who own or have owned them. I currently have 5 juveniles around 6" in a 300 gallon tank. I don't plan on keeping all 5 but I had read that they school while young and can be fragile so I've started with 5. What size tank am I likely to need long term? And as a side note, can multiple emperor snakeheads be kept together? In a separate tank from the micropeltes of course.

Gaz_ham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
northants, uk
They are prone to ich/white spot when young, in my experience. I've only kept them a few times, but with a 90% survival rate as they grow. They never made it past 13 inches, down to my inexperience. Some say minimum of 6ft long tank. I wouldn't keep one in less than a 9ft x 2.5ft.
Height isn't too important, 2ft would be plenty

Monstarr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2018
Can I ask why they didn't make it past 13 inches? My current tank is 8x2.5 so hopefully they'll be good in here for a while. 10x4 will be the biggest my next tank will be so hopefully that would do for life.

Gaz_ham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
northants, uk
My first batch i simply didn't feed them enough as they got bigger and the other, i couldn't afford a new tank, i was out of work for 3 months, i had to re home them.
They will be fine in that tank for a good while i would say. They might end up fighting as they get older, they usually end up living on their own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store