Any experienced Oscar Keepers?

I_Talk_2_Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Somewhere in New York
I have a medium sized Oscar I obtained back in the late spring / early summer. He has lost weight but was still eating. A few weeks ago I started noticing a lump on one side of his belly and tried doing as much research as I could. Oh my stars the "what it could be's" out there!

Water changes, meds, white cloudy poop, leading me to believe it might be internal parasites, 2 doses of PraziPro, made medicated food but now he isn't eating, not even the worm I offered him yesterday.

Last night I put Epsom salt in his tank and doing a 50% water change right now.

I am prepared to sedate him with clove oil and possibly get the magnesium down via force feeding and wondered if it could be done in his tank since it is at about 1/2 it's normal volume... Then fill tank back up and drain a few times to clear it out of the water.

Reactions: Matteus

I_Talk_2_Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Somewhere in New York
I forgot to add that I would greatly appreciate a chat with anyone who is experienced with Oscars to help me with this dilemma before it has to come to the point of euthanizing him or waking up and finding him dead...

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hi. Welcome to mfk

Personally I think it would be a better idea to dose with clove oil in a bucket or Rubbermaid container rather than in your tank. Seems pretty risky imo.

Go_redfish Go_redfish Jexnell Jexnell may have some more insights.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I am not well versed in treatment of illness. Knock on wood, my fish have been in great health and have not had to deal with treating a fish this sick. I think kno4te kno4te @RD duanes duanes can help you out better. Best of luck to your Oscar.

Reactions: Matteus and kno4te

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Do not put clove oil in your tank. Always administer sedation in seperate container.

Sounds like an impaction and infection. I see this with goldfish kept in gravel or coarse sand substrate. I would imagine oscars to be at less risk though since they are top and mid water feeders. Can you post pics?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would suggest at this time to post Water parameters. Post pictures.Also what a change schedule. Continue with the Epsom salts. And hold off on the cold weather this time. How does the poop look?

Reactions: Go_redfish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Also what’s the oscars diet?

Reactions: Go_redfish

I_Talk_2_Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Somewhere in New York
Thanks for the replies!

Ok, won't put C O in tank

Parameters are
Amm 0
Trites 0
Trates 20 (to 40 usually) after today's water change. Have been battling high nitrates forever and have taken a few steps to fight it, waiting for the Matrix to kick in.
dosing regularly w Prime as it comes out of the tap at 20ppm
ph is mid to high range

Will gets pics ASAP, going out to shovel 2" of snow, yuck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store