Parasite or Cichlid showing off / aggression?

Young Skywalker28

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2018
I have a 135 gal tank. I had an Oscar about 5”, a Jack Dempsey about 2”, and a Green Terror about 2” thats been in the tank for a couple months. A week ago I added about a 2” red terror, about a 3” chocolate and red shoulder severum. While there are no visible signs of a parasite and they eat like hogs, I do occasionally see scratching from the Oscar and red terror. Nothing constant. Every once in a while. And it isn’t like multiple rubs at one time. Just a scratch and go about their business. I also notice the Oscar tends to flick his little pelvic fins when fish get close to him. I just checked my ammonia, nitrites, and PH. All seems safe amounts. What are y’all thoughts? Parasite or marking their territories?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 135 gal tank. I had an Oscar about 5”, a Jack Dempsey about 2”, and a Green Terror about 2” thats been in the tank for a couple months. A week ago I added about a 2” red terror, about a 3” chocolate and red shoulder severum. While there are no visible signs of a parasite and they eat like hogs, I do occasionally see scratching from the Oscar and red terror. Nothing constant. Every once in a while. And it isn’t like multiple rubs at one time. Just a scratch and go about their business. I also notice the Oscar tends to flick his little pelvic fins when fish get close to him. I just checked my ammonia, nitrites, and PH. All seems safe amounts. What are y’all thoughts? Parasite or marking their territories?
Sounds like irritation of something. Keep observation of the flashing from the Oscar and Red Terror.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Young Skywalker28

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2018
If I use Tetra Aquasafe when I do water changes, could that be it? I have read that products that promote the slime coating could cause fish to scratch. It does have slime coat enhancer in it.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be from the aquasafe. Switch out ur dechlorinator and see if it gets better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store