Big arowana ate small arowana!

Janella_hermosa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2018
Did you or your sister explain to the seller that you have a large arowana?......and if you still want to get another arowana you can set up a smaller tank in which to raise and grow the little guy until it is big enough to be safely housed with Dino.
Yes she did. She told the seller that the green arowana will be put into a tank with a big silver arowana, the seller insist that silver arowana are afraid of green arowanas whatever the size and quoted that silver arowanas are the most kind of all arowanas in the world just why my sister thought its okay.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
So sorry the store gave awful advise.
And if in the future you want to try and add anything to the tank please do quarantine it first. It would be a shame to lose such a large fish over an illness being introduced.

And I’d advise against the zebra pleco. It’s beautiful, but the arrow will almost certainly eat it and that highly dangerous and damaging because of its fin spikes.

FAT daddy

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Rowland Heights
i dont see the harm in comping the meals of lawmen...they have wages that do not match the level of work they do for citizens...name it James!!!

Palermo's in los angeles has the best garlic bread...my mother and father had their first meal as a married couple there, God rest his soul...restaurants need protection...lawmen need better perks!!!
祝好运

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes she did. She told the seller that the green arowana will be put into a tank with a big silver arowana, the seller insist that silver arowana are afraid of green arowanas whatever the size and quoted that silver arowanas are the most kind of all arowanas in the world just why my sister thought its okay.
That's horrible,I was trying to give those toads the benefit of the doubt lol.....and I agree with MrsE88.

Janella_hermosa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2018
So sorry the store gave awful advise.
And if in the future you want to try and add anything to the tank please do quarantine it first. It would be a shame to lose such a large fish over an illness being introduced.

And I’d advise against the zebra pleco. It’s beautiful, but the arrow will almost certainly eat it and that highly dangerous and damaging because of its fin spikes.
Noted! Thank you very much, I understand more now. Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey and MrsE88

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
View attachment 1347549
this is a beautiful specimen...zebra pleco...would really accent the bland appearance of a wild arowana and could hold its own in a display tank with a silver arowana because of its defensive pectorial fin spikes!!!
good luck...

This is a bad advice. Please do not keep a zebra pleco that maxes out at 3.5” with an arowana. If anything, you can look at some of the larger species like royal plecos or L25 plecos but avoid dwarfs like hypancistrus, peckoltia, and most ancistrus. Do some research and keep asking questions

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree on "no zebra pleco".

They are armed but are tiny. Plus very much expensive, like Asian arowana. Usually.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
DId somebody really just recommend a zebra pleco for the 200g with the arowana?

And not to be rude man but it should have been common sense that your nearly 3' long arowana would eat the 4-6" skinny fish. How could you not realize this and own an aro that big?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
DId somebody really just recommend a zebra pleco for the 200g with the arowana?

And not to be rude man but it should have been common sense that your nearly 3' long arowana would eat the 4-6" skinny fish. How could you not realize this and own an aro that big?
Take it easy. Her and her sister are caring for the father’s fish who recently passed. They are learning. What’s lame is the LFS who took advantage of their lack of knowledge and promised them it would be fine to put a smaller aro with theirs.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Take it easy. Her and her sister are caring for the father’s fish who recently passed. They are learning. What’s lame is the LFS who took advantage of their lack of knowledge and promised them it would be fine to put a smaller aro with theirs.
How easy do you want me to take it? Not like I said anything out of line... don't see how you could have a giant predatory fish and think that putting a very small fish with it is going to work out fine. Also bought the new aro without doing any sort of research on Aro's beforehand, could have easily been avoided. Real victim here is the small Aro.

OP, no disrespect meant to you personally, but this should be a learning experience, if nobody tells you what you did wrong, and only coddles you, perhaps you won't learn at all. If somebody tells you something that seems too good to be true (as this should have)... do a little research on your own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store