125 gal into 40 breeder??

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
How would one achieve having a 125 gal at X height that overflows into a 40 gallon breeder at a lower height? Is it as simple as cutting one side of glass a couple inches down? Or drill holes?

It might be hard to get the water to fall and remain somewhat quiet, like a HOB filter design.

This is just an idea at this point, thought it would be badass if done right.

Any thoughts?

Picture the top two tanks kinda how they are but on a custom stand with a 125 on the left that overflows into the 40 to the right....The 40 would be at a slightly lower level

20181205_173114.jpg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The thing is, if you dump water from the 125 into the 40 them at some point the 40 will overflow. So you have to also pump water back to the 125 at the same rate or catastrophe happens. It can be done this is what all sumps are in essence right.

This part of the hobby has always scared me. Yes there are safeties and what not but i hear so many stories of big tanks pumping all of the water on the floor due to a pump failure or disruptions in power.

Maybe someone with sump experience will chime in if it's truly possible.

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Yeah you would have to rig up a custom canister that pulled from the 40 and pumped into the 125. It would take some trial and error to get the flow right.

Theoretically this could be done though right? If you used a single good sized pump.

I mean technically its not really different from it being attached to just one tank, or am I missing something?

My greatest concern would be how to section the glass and it still be structural as well as not look like crap. You could sacrifice a HOB filter and cut the section out that the water spills over and epoxy to the bigger tank and make look nice, but I'd be terrified of busting the glass.

I think ultimately it would require removing the side to be cut, reinstall, and then resealing the whole tank again.

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Also a 40 gallon breeder is 3" shorter than the 125.

Maybe even some crafty use of plexiglass and silicon would allow the water level to be raised in the 125 just enough to spill over the top....negating having to cut the glass or factory top brace?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Even with the canister idea, if you lost power, the higher tank would still siphon into the lower one and potentially flood.

I dont think your idea with extending the tank walls or whatnot would work. To install a proper overflow you will most likely have to drill your tank if possible.

cwindless

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Virginia
I think i am missing the point of your question.

1. Are you trying to turn your 40g into a sump with an overflow?

2. Are you trying to create a waterfall affect between the two tanks?

3. What is your plan for the water once it goes from the 125 to the 40?

4. Are you trying to connect all three tanks in the picture?

Your answers to these questions may help in answering appropriately.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
what I would do is drill the 40g and run a bean animal style overflow that flows into a sump. then pump the return water to the 125g. the sump would have to be big enough to handle the difference of water when a power failure occurs as would the plumbing from the b.a.o. having 2 extra drains should be able to accomplish that. as far as the joining of the two tanks someone else will have a better idea than me as I don't think there's a very good way to do that.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
You could just buy a 150 or 180 and avoid the combination of tanks lol

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I think i am missing the point of your question.

1. Are you trying to turn your 40g into a sump with an overflow?

2. Are you trying to create a waterfall affect between the two tanks?

3. What is your plan for the water once it goes from the 125 to the 40?

4. Are you trying to connect all three tanks in the picture?

Your answers to these questions may help in answering appropriately.

Also the picture was misleading... thats my current 120 with a 40 gal below and to right

Im talking about if you were able to have a 125 next to a 40, with water "waterfalling" from a 125 down into a 40.

This is purely hypothetical, not really my intention, just a wonder if it could be done type thing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store