2 canisters vs sump for 180-210 gallon tank

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Planning out my next tank which will either be 180 or 210.

I'm thinking either doing 2 canisters (fx6 or eheim 2262) or a sump.

Weighing out pros and cons of each and would like to get some input and experiences.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I would go with a sump all day everyday. One section of mechanical filtration and one big section of k1 or similar media for a movingbed to fix the biological filtration. It is hard to beat k1's ability to handle the biological load. Maybe use a cannister for mechanical purpose only.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Sump. Ease of maintenance, infinite ways to set it up or change it up, put your heater in it. You dont need k1, get a good mix of biological media to start. If you think you might want a k1 chamber at some point build it in and fill it with regular bio or leave it empty. Get filter socks for mech. Get an adjustable return pump. Way better filtration.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I agree. It's not even a close call, sump sump sump, everyday. Three basic chambers for mechanical, bio and return pump is all you need. Don't go wasting your money on expensive bio media, totally unnecessary. Just keep it really really simple and you will love it.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
It depends. If the tank is drilled sump for sure. But if it’s not canister. I don’t know about you but I’m not taking a drill bit to my $1000 glass tank. For reference I’m running three canisters on my 220.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
It depends. If the tank is drilled sump for sure. But if it’s not canister. I don’t know about you but I’m not taking a drill bit to my $1000 glass tank. For reference I’m running three canisters on my 220.

Well since its a new tang im taking for granted hes buying a brand new and then can have the manufacturer drill the glass or if its acrylic then do it himself. Well i dont have the problem with drilling my 425 gallon tank and planning on doing that in the future

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
the only reason not to go with a sump!
Drilling isnt that bad. Just take your time and follow the template if using an overflow if not make smart choices on hole placement. My 180 is reefready I wish I'd have drilled it myself I could have gotten much better flow myself.

I drilled 50 50bs at one of my local fish stores when they were remodeling. I broke 2. I worked there a couple days a month for about a year. Going to airport to pick up live stock shipments acclimating and inventoring the new stock. Id work 1 Sunday a month selling stuff. I took a vacation from my real job to help with the remodel. Lol.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I've drilled 2 tanks both glass had one explode the other worked out. I've used several styles of hang on overflow boxes and they all had some issue I didn't like. now its either canisters on non drilled glass tanks or bean animal overflows on the drilled tanks. i'm not risking my 150g low iron glass tank so its a canister filter.

Reactions: twentyleagues

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
sump! only down side from sumps in my opinion is the smell. unless you seal it tight so it doesnt start to smell and stink up the room. other than that sump is better. canister are great aswell. i have 2 eheim canister on my 135g and it's been running for almost 10 years now and still running great with lil to no noise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store