Did you get into fish keeping or fish catching first?

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Fish catching for me but that didn't lead to keeping. A trip to the TN aquarium when I was young is what got me started. Fishing is fun, but that's just because they taste good. I've eaten a lot of the fish people like to keep lol

Im a water person though. I love going to creeks, lakes, and especially the beach so it's just natural to bring that element into my home

rusto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
I got started with fishing. I started off by trying to catch as many different types of fish as possible. this got me into fish keeping by looking at all those pictures of other native American fish to catch, a lot of them were in aquariams. I got my first aquariam when I went into petco and saw a baby pumkinseed in their feeder fish tank. Since then I have added seven more tanks, those seven have tropical fish and the first tank has the pumpkinseed.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
I started fishing when I was about 5 years old and big enough to handle a snoopie pole. As I got into high school and started dreaming about more adventurous fishing trips to South America for Peacock Bass and massive catfish I began to wonder if those were available to keep in the aquarium. Fast forward a few years and in college is when my aquarium addiction kicked into high gear. I started off keeping natives I'd catch at the local pond in a 55 gallon and also had a 20 gallon tank with an Electric Catfish to buying a 240 Gallon my senior year in 2005 stocked with Cichla "Lake Diamante" and several shovelnose species of catfish. This was the same year I joined MFK and was hooked! From there those fish grew to outgrow my 240 and I expanded to a 480g indoor pond and ultimately to a 1100g indoor pond. My interest for aquariums kept growing as my knowledge about south american fish kept growing and my desire to fish for them.

I am currently fishless for the first time in 15 years and it hurts me lol. To much moving around for work and family life has put my hobby on hold until we buy a house again and I've spent more of my time and resources on modding cars/trucks and exotic fishing trips. Hoping to be back in in the aquarium game full swing in 2019!

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
We fished off the dock in Cayucos CA when I was a little kid, but we moved a lot and I never had an aquarium until I was 21. That was also the last time I fished saltwater, and never have had a saltwater tank.

I have fished in Minnesota, Utah, and now California. Eventually, I bought bigger aquariums and a small boat, and got more serious at both.

I've got some catfish that are going to get too big to stay indoors, so I'm contemplating my first outdoor pond.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
We fished off the dock in Cayucos CA when I was a little kid, but we moved a lot and I never had an aquarium until I was 21. That was also the last time I fished saltwater, and never have had a saltwater tank.

I have fished in Minnesota, Utah, and now California. Eventually, I bought bigger aquariums and a small boat, and got more serious at both.

I've got some catfish that are going to get too big to stay indoors, so I'm contemplating my first outdoor pond.
Build big and plan ahead, since many catfish like hiding places, I would have some places where you can see them, but still feel secure, for example an overhang may be well enjoyed

Reactions: Ulu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store