Help!!!! Severum has cotton butt

Nya facefish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2018
Hi,
I jus bought a golden severum. He is in a 20 gallon tank. Very open to swim and I built a little cave. The temp is 77 degrees, with soft lighting.The severum is being shy, but also isn't swimming around very much. The fish sit at the bottom corner of the tank. The fish name is sunny. Sunny eats a little bit of the food that's falls to the bottom. I've noticed swelling around is butt and this cotton like substance that sort of gathers then falls out of his butt. Obviously it's his poop but it's totally white and no string. It jus kind of falls out. I don't know if its parasites or bacterial or fungle ext. So have started medicating sunny with General cure that treats parasitic deases. I've jus given him the last dosage yesterday but I see no changes in this 6 days process. Must not be parasites. I am going to finish the cycle but sadly I think the whole General care parasitic treatment was a swing and a miss. Sunny is my 1st severum I open to any suggestions. Here is a pic of what sunny cotton butt looks like.

20181202_092612.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would dose some metronidazole to the tank with Epsom salt 1 tbsp per 5g. Get some medicated food (metroplex) and mix with Epsom salt sol (1/2 cup distilled water and 3/4 tsp Epsom salt). Use seachem focus to bind with some food and feed the fish.

Nya facefish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2018
Ok, thanks a lot for your advice. It worked, the cotton butt went away. After a 7 days treatment. Didnt see him poop till today. It seems very unnatural. And very large. Is this normal for a severum poop. I just got this fish. I could be making something out of nothing. I soak the pellets called cichlid gold before i feed him for 5 mins or so. 1once a week i feed him a little bit of blood worms. Should i change the food now that he is healthy or is this normal

15443822871208383302585686876363.jpg 20181209_105111.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok, thanks a lot for your advice. It worked, the cotton butt went away. After a 7 days treatment. Didnt see him poop till today. It seems very unnatural. And very large. Is this normal for a severum poop. I just got this fish. I could be making something out of nothing. I soak the pellets called cichlid gold before i feed him for 5 mins or so. 1once a week i feed him a little bit of blood worms. Should i change the food now that he is healthy or is this normal

View attachment 1348161 View attachment 1348162

Great to hear that condition of the Severum has improved. The look of the poop normal. I personally would keep the feeding routine the same but would personally add another brand of pellet.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’m sorry, I laughed so hard when I read the title. And again after reading “sunny cotton butt” :ROFL: Too funny! Not sure if you ment for it to be comical, but thank you for the laugh!

On a serious note.... I’m glad his poop is normal now. Sunny is a very beautiful fish:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store