Which filter is right for

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
So I plan on upgrading to a 75 soon and I've been planning out filtration for it. I was curious which kind of filter(s) I should run on it. I plan on having: 3 Centromochlus sp. Peru, 1 or 2 Crenicichla compressiceps 9 Pseudochalceus kyburzi, 3 Spinipterus sp. 1 and 3 Tatia musaica, plus some plants (some swords and Staurogyne Repens). Ideally I'd like to run an Eheim canister, however I've been considering running just two AC110's or possibly a single AC110 and a canister. My only desire is that it keeps the tank as clean as possible and keep sound to a minimal. What do you guys recommend me running for this tank and why?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would do 2 aq 110s. Maintenance would be easier on it. Quick change out or clean and good to go. As opposed to a canister and cleaning and opening. Just seems less work. Good flow with 2 hobs. That’s my pick.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with kno4te kno4te . Also great if you plan on keeping fish susceptible to HITH and sensitive to nitrate.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Alright, but how often would you recommend cleaning and or replacing the media? and perhaps anything I might want to add to make it more efficient?

I personally never use the activated carbon replace it with extra media bio rings, Fluval Biomax. During water change pull out sponge and shake it in removed aquarium water.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
x3

Canisters can be little nitrate factories
I'm going to use a canister for the very first time (SunSun 704a) after a new tank comes in soon and have this concern, so I got 2 of these Atman Pre-filters recently, one to go on the SunSun and the other for a UV sterilizer connected to an in-tank dc pump.

I'm hoping the pre-filters do their job, but without restricting flow rate too much.

atman-filter-fish-tank-filter-aquariums-outside.jpg

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
I'm going to use a canister for the very first time (SunSun 704a) after a new tank comes in soon and have this concern, so I got 2 of these Atman Pre-filters recently, one to go on the SunSun and the other for a UV sterilizer connected to an in-tank dc pump.

I'm hoping the pre-filters do their job, but without restricting flow rate too much.

View attachment 1348526
After my latest experience I'd say away from the SunSun. Roughly a yr, and it just tanked overnight.

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
I would do 2 aq 110s. Maintenance would be easier on it. Quick change out or clean and good to go. As opposed to a canister and cleaning and opening. Just seems less work. Good flow with 2 hobs. That’s my pick.
I would do this, with a coarse sponge in the intakes and stack 2 sponges, plus biomedia on the top layer. Also room in the uptake tube area for a small bag of media as well. Lots of mech to clean up gunk, plus the sponges have lots of surface area to host BB

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
After my latest experience I'd say away from the SunSun. Roughly a yr, and it just tanked overnight.
Yeah I've heard praise and criticism of their canisters -- I'd love get something like an Eheim Pro (but just don't have the dosh atm after paying for this tank plus 2 Asian Arowanas). And besides Eheim it's hard to find other good (non-Chinese) brands here in Thailand (except Oase, but I've seen peeps having problems with those as well).

But what do you mean tanked bro -- just stopped working or something more catastrophic like a leak?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store