Flagtail Prochilodus question

Lockheed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2018
So i ended up getting a 2-3" flagtail. Had it in the tank for 2 days now but it seems to be really skittish and shy. How do i get this guy to chill and come out of hiding?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
So i ended up getting a 2-3" flagtail. Had it in the tank for 2 days now but it seems to be really skittish and shy. How do i get this guy to chill and come out of hiding?
Do you have other fish in the tank to act as dithers or is it by itself?

Lockheed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2018
No dithers per se but it's with a couple of grow out cichlas. Planning to buy 2 tinfoil barbs tho is that gon help?

Reactions: Matteus

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
No dithers per se but it's with a couple of grow out cichlas. Planning to buy 2 tinfoil barbs tho is that gon help?
It might -- Flagtail's by nature are a schooling (or shoaling?) fish, so yours might try to join up with the barbs. My Flagtail followed my Arowana around like he adored her and now does the same with a Datnoid half his size.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Just wondering...my Flagtail can very frequently be found shadow boxing his self against his reflection on the tank glass -- sometimes he'll go at it for about an hour, and does several sessions of this every day -- I kinda worry he might have a heart attack or something lol -- anyone else's FT do like this? (and it's clear he's not doing it to eat algae, because he stays in the same place for a long time and goes about 10 rounds with himself).

Reactions: Matteus

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Like most fish, it usually just takes time. Some fish may never over come this flight instinct, and will always be on the skittish side. I have a firemouth now for +4yrs, that still hides when I approach the tank, while the rest of her tankmates are in a frenzy at the surface begging for food.

My FT was never really skittish.

Reactions: islandguy11

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Just wondering...my Flagtail can very frequently be found shadow boxing his self against his reflection on the tank glass -- sometimes he'll go at it for about an hour, and does several sessions of this every day -- I kinda worry he might have a heart attack or something lol -- anyone else's FT do like this? (and it's clear he's not doing it to eat algae, because he stays in the same place for a long time and goes about 10 rounds with himself).
Mine never did this. I think your FT has ADHD :D

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It might -- Flagtail's by nature are a schooling (or shoaling?) fish, so yours might try to join up with the barbs. My Flagtail followed my Arowana around like he adored her and now does the same with a Datnoid half his size.
Ha ha. Mine genuinely thinks it is a bass right now

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store