Aquarium water conditioner !!!

Q&Q

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
HI, I want to make water anti chlorine & bought some sodium thiosalfate. Need assistance to get the PPM of this to make the anti chlorine.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
HI, I want to make water anti chlorine & bought some sodium thiosalfate. Need assistance to get the PPM of this to make the anti chlorine.

duanes duanes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I regularly mixed up a batches of sodium or calcium thio, I'd put 500 grams of dry sodium thiosulfate into a gal of DI water, put the jug on the stirrer, and let if stir until dissolved. After done, I'd divide into 1 liter bottles for easy of pouring.

Then 2 drops of the mixture per gallon of new tank water, per each ppm of chlorine detected, or after a time and experience, a bloop in my 150 gal tank during a water change.
To experiment and find the right bloop per water change, I either used a pool type test strip, or if in the lab, a DPD analyzer until a norm dose per water change was obvious.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
From a past post of mine, same basic info as Duane, with a slightly different twist to volume and measurements.

Recipe:

Make a solution consisting of 4 ounces (1/4 lb) Sodium Thiosulfate crystals dissolved in 1 gallon of distilled or deionized water. Use 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of the solution for each 10 gallons of makeup water to neutralize up to 3.75 ppm chlorine. One cup can be used for each 500 gallons. (The entire one gallon of solution will treat about 7500 gallons of tap water.) The shelf life of the solution is about six months when stored in a cool location. The crystals will keep for several years if kept dry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store