DIY air diffuser?

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
I’ve been looking into air diffusers for my K1 build and I am realizing that large capacity traditional stone diffusers are expensive, create fine bubbles, and clog over time.

With the idea that a larger diameter bubble will produce more upward movement, I am playing with the idea of doing a diy bubble wand/diffuser with 1/2” pvc or something similar. Easy to customize, cheap, ability to play with hole diameter and placement etc.

Anyone tried this? Is there a downside?

For reference, space dedicated for K1 is about 24”x12”x12”, 25 liters of K1 micro, and a 40 lpm Alita air pump.

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
I’m no physics expert, but I feel like micro bubbles displace less agua and therefore have less upward oomph. Also people have commented about the lackluster water movement until going with a more porous/larger bubble making apparatus.

And anyway the question remains....can I fashion a bubble wand out of 1/2” or 3/8” pipe of some sort that will be effective, inexpensive, customizable, and does not clog? Or does an air pump not allow for such things?

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
I made a 2 x 2 grid and drilled holes every 1.5" on center for my K1 chamber. It works well and does not need to be cemented. I had to zip tie a rock to the PVC to keep it from floating.

I used 1/2" PVC and my air pump is 80 LPM. Start with the smallest drill bit and work your way up. Use a T section to attach a hose barb. Once the K1 is moving, you won't see it so I didn't worry about sanding off the red lettering, but would use grey PVC if I build another.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If drilling pvc pipe to make a bubble wall, put the holes under side of the pipe, not along the top. So pipe cant fill with water and air is trapped.

Otherwise you will get different size and volume bubbles the further along the pipe.

Reactions: DRUKENMUNKY

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20181030_180318.jpg
Two 10 inch stone diffuser, joined together, and epoxied.
22 x 9 x 18 fluidized chamber.
Cheap and never plugs, operates with a 55 gallon air pump.

Reactions: FESHMAN

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
not sure if you would benefit from this but here. You get these drip valves and insert them to an airline. You have some flow control but you need something like stainless nuts to weigh them down. Plus you can sort of make a network if you like with T's and what not

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
If drilling pvc pipe to make a bubble wall, put the holes under side of the pipe, not along the top. So pipe cant fill with water and air is trapped.

Otherwise you will get different size and volume bubbles the further along the pipe.
Awesome idea, was just thinking of doing this. Thanks!
Although I plan to use a 1/2" piece of PEX tubing in a loop with a T to join them. I think I may just drill into the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store