Why are people scared to ship??

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Could end up being a scfi movie. A giant wolf fish attacks postal workers in the back of the building.
Our UPS came close to that, it was a giant python in the back of a trailer haha. It was about that time that UPS stopped shipping live animals other than bees, crickets, and lady bugs.
I bet you and I did the same thing for awhile. Were you a loader for UPS? Back from 1990 to 1995 I worked for UPS as well as a loader and then pick off.
I loaded air cans and feeders for a while. That sucked. I promoted to part time supervisor and was in charge of the sort aisle. Got to learn how to sort, that was pretty fun. Then moved to the preload belts and due to people not coming to work, I had to fill in and load the delivery trucks and eventually learned to pick off. That was a nice little gig. Right before I left, I got moved to DA and learned to correct addresses.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
During the warm weather months I ship plenty of fish - mostly fry and juvies - via USPS (Priority mostly). I have an oxygen tank and plenty of experience with bagging / packing fish for shipping. It's not that hard.

Winter and large fish are a whole different situation, especially anywhere near the holidays. There are a million things that can go wrong, about 4/5 of them entirely outside of your control. It's honestly just now worth it to me.

I very seldom have issues shipping fish via USPS. Whether I get turned away from shipping fish via my local FedEx and UPS locations is entirely based on who's working that day. Sometimes no problem at all. Other times I get a story about it being against the rules and that Fedex (or UPS) doesn't ship fish (even if I have a box labeled "live fish" that was shipped to me by FedEx or UPS). So I'm left scrambling to get to USPS in time.

I've also had bad experiences with shipping fish to people on MFK - scammers, time-wasters, people who want a million pictures, lowballers, people who dispute shipping chargers, etc. It's just not worth the time or effort.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I don’t post my fish for sale here because I’m one of those afraid to ship. Lol

I’ve never shipped a fish before or had a fish shipped to me. So the fear is mostly just from not having a full understanding on how to do it and not having anyone to walk me through it.
Not knowing the cost is another reason. I wouldn’t know how much to charge for shipping since I don’t even know what all I’d need to do it.
Great honesty here. +1

Reactions: Rob909 and MrsE88

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Could end up being a scfi movie. A giant wolf fish attacks postal workers in the back of the building.
Yeah....It's ghost maybe.Although it was out of my control I felt really bad about what happened with that fish.I had raised it from a small fry over a few years and the timing was right that the the fellow was looking for one and I was willing to rehome it.....and to think that it would have been just fine had I kept it.

Reactions: Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
.....wouldnt ve any worse than the other dumb **** they show on SYFY.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store