Is it worth it to spend the extra money on ceramic media for a Wet/Dry Filter

InfinityARch

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
I'm currently finalizing the setup of my 120 gallon (freshwater) aquarium, and one final area where I'm looking for some input is on my filter media. The sump the tank came with is set up for a wet/dry style filter, and i'm wondering whether I'd benefit from using ceramic media in it or if it would be a waste of money?

I'm planning on having some large-ish predatory fish in the tank that can be expected to be messy eaters, so I'm anticipating having a bio-load on the high side, but I've also heard on occasion that with this kind of filtration the limiting factor is generally the turnover rate (I'm aiming at around 8x turnover at 1000 GPH) and overall water volume rather than the filter media's surface area. Meanwhile since one of the big advantages of wet/dry is adding a ton of oxygen to the water, you aren't going to get any meaningful amount of denitrification occurring in a W/D filter

If that's correct, I assume using just bioballs would be fine, or would I potentially benefit from high surface area media?

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
I will second the pot scrubbers. Ceramic media will channel like you wouldn't believe and I do not advise. I would personally go to a submerged sump instead of messing with a wet dry. Just run a airstone in the tank and aim your return jet to break the surface and you'll be more than fine.

Reactions: Matteus and js302

InfinityARch

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
I will second the pot scrubbers. Ceramic media will channel like you wouldn't believe and I do not advise. I would personally go to a submerged sump instead of messing with a wet dry. Just run a airstone in the tank and aim your return jet to break the surface and you'll be more than fine.
The sump (got it secondhand) came configured for a wet dry setup.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Pot scrubbies work. I use lava rock in my sump.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That tray full of pot scrubbies that MATTEUS has above, in my opinion, is a thousand times more effective than any tray full of ceramic media.

The water can flow very freely through these coarse scrubbies thus getting nutrient and oxygen rich water to your BB. That is the whole idea of good bio media.

And then on the other hand you get mega porous ceramic rings. Not only are the holes in this media microscopic but these rings are always clumped together in mesh media bags and dumped in the sump. The question I keep asking myself is, how on earth can oxygen and nutrient rich water free flow through this type of media when it's presented in the sump in this very compact manner. The water, as TEXASMFK31 quite rightly pointed out will just channel. It will always take the easiest path.

In my view this is a huge disadvantage with ceramic rings. I am currently in the process of phasing them out in my tanks and replacing with coarse chunks of sponge.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I'm currently finalizing the setup of my 120 gallon (freshwater) aquarium, and one final area where I'm looking for some input is on my filter media. The sump the tank came with is set up for a wet/dry style filter, and i'm wondering whether I'd benefit from using ceramic media in it or if it would be a waste of money?

I'm planning on having some large-ish predatory fish in the tank that can be expected to be messy eaters, so I'm anticipating having a bio-load on the high side, but I've also heard on occasion that with this kind of filtration the limiting factor is generally the turnover rate (I'm aiming at around 8x turnover at 1000 GPH) and overall water volume rather than the filter media's surface area. Meanwhile since one of the big advantages of wet/dry is adding a ton of oxygen to the water, you aren't going to get any meaningful amount of denitrification occurring in a W/D filter

If that's correct, I assume using just bioballs would be fine, or would I potentially benefit from high surface area media?
The bio-balls will work just fine and no need for anything else. It's really personal preference.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store