ebjd fragile

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
Have been doing some more research on the ebjd lot of sites say that they are not as hardy as the regular jd and many die off when quite young . After reading some of these accounts I am observing my one all the time I hope I have a healthy one he is very plucky as he chases the yoyo loaches and is the first to eat at feeding hope he/she is a healthy one.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Your Electric Blue is still a JD. The genetic weakness somehow allows the EBJD to acquire the awsome neon blue patterns. They are a weakened strain as compared to the standard JD, but most of them can hold their own.
I grew out a male to 9" and a female to 5". Both lived to about 5 yrs. The male died fighting a Rivulatus. The female died of old age. Keep a clean tank, stock sensibly and feed well, chances are your EBJD will do just fine.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Your Electric Blue is still a JD. The genetic weakness somehow allows the EBJD to acquire the awsome neon blue patterns. They are a weakened strain as compared to the standard JD, but most of them can hold their own.
I grew out a male to 9" and a female to 5". Both lived to about 5 yrs. The male died fighting a Rivulatus. The female died of old age. Keep a clean tank, stock sensibly and feed well, chances are your EBJD will do just fine.
Case in point about genetic weakness- a large CA cichlid shouldn't be dying of old age at 5. That's not that old.
Like all designer strains of fish, the JD's have been line-bred (often to their brother or sister, or mother/father, cousin, etc) for generations. Especially when the strain is newly being developed and there is not a large pool of fish that carry the gene to breed fresh genes into it, the bloodline becomes weakened over time. So yes, EBJD are weaker genetically than JD's, and most don't make it past the 5-6" mark. Plenty do, but plenty more don't

Glenn238

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
Gourami swami 100 percent agree! Too add i know someone that had bought around 8 of them from different people and they tried different tank setups and different tank sizes and nothing would work i think 2 lasted around 8 to 10 months but you never know time will tell there a wonderful looking fish

Reactions: BichirKing

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
wow will see how it goes yet they cost twice as much as a regular jd I know the regular jd are very robust I had on in a tank that crashed when I didnt realise but the jd survived I only sold it beause after a year it was beating up its tank mates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store