Just incase anyone missed it...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
there is now a very basic reference guide and introduction to F/W puffers stickied at the top of this section...

So have a look through it if you need help ID’ing your puffers, and if you see anything wrong with the info, please PM me so i can update the thread...

Thanks all :)

P.S if you feel you have better pics of the puffers than whats in thread already, feel free to send them my way as well and maybe i’ll use your pics instead ;)

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I couldn't find where I can pm you. I don't want to call it out like this, but this is what I've found. Feel free to delete

I believe you have your fangs puff mixed up with a barbatus. Fangs have a short snout and stocky type appearance. Barbatus (& leiurus) have snouts 2 eye ball length long. The barbatus has a sharp transition to white while the leiurus is gradual.....targets can be really tricky

It might be worth mentioning the SAP's will more than likely need dentistry as well as the modestus. Their teeth grow insanely fast. The modestus can be confused with nefastus

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I couldn't find where I can pm you. I don't want to call it out like this, but this is what I've found. Feel free to delete

I believe you have your fangs puff mixed up with a barbatus. Fangs have a short snout and stocky type appearance. Barbatus (& leiurus) have snouts 2 eye ball length long. The barbatus has a sharp transition to white while the leiurus is gradual.....targets can be really tricky

It might be worth mentioning the SAP's will more than likely need dentistry as well as the modestus. Their teeth grow insanely fast. The modestus can be confused with nefastus
Thanks for the info and to be fair, im sure a lot of info needs to be updated as time passes, hence calling it a Betta version in the original thread...

So if you dont mind, maybe I can PM you the link, then we can go through the info and see what needs updating together slowly?

Edit

Yeah, i honestly hate IDing target species as they are my definte weak point which i can admit...

Also i did mention saps need teeth trimming, but didnt realize modestus need it too...

Last edited:

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Thanks for the info and to be fair, im sure a lot of info needs to be updated as time passes, hence calling it a Betta version in the original thread...

So if you dont mind, maybe I can PM you the link, then we can go through the info and see what needs updating together slowly?

Edit

Yeah, i honestly hate IDing target species as they are my definte weak point which i can admit...

Also i did mention saps need teeth trimming, but didnt realize modestus need it too...
I'll help anyway I can. Targets are a whole can of worms. I got sick of people shipping me the wrong species so I started reading up on how to id them.

Modestus teeth grow really quick even with high crunch I had to do trimming 1x a yr or so. I misspoke on nefastus. Silus are what usually gets mixed up with modestus.

Anyway sorry for the derail

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I'll help anyway I can. Targets are a whole can of worms. I got sick of people shipping me the wrong species so I started reading up on how to id them.

Modestus teeth grow really quick even with high crunch I had to do trimming 1x a yr or so. I misspoke on nefastus. Silus are what usually gets mixed up with modestus.

Anyway sorry for the derail
Your input would be very useful for the target species, especially if you’ve been studying up on them... will continue this through PM, but its great to have you help me out with this...

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Fat Homer Fat Homer , thank you for that! Very nice sticky for identifying puffers.

Probably only thing I would add is it would be nice to have juvenile and adult pics of fish. Seems like most ID issues are usually at juvenile state. I know this is especially difficult with the lack of puffer info out there and finding those juvenile pics.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Fat Homer Fat Homer , thank you for that! Very nice sticky for identifying puffers.

Probably only thing I would add is it would be nice to have juvenile and adult pics of fish. Seems like most ID issues are usually at juvenile state. I know this is especially difficult with the lack of puffer info out there and finding those juvenile pics.
Thanks for that great idea... i’ll definitely look into finding some juvi pics of the fish to add to the list...

So far i think i did it with the Fahaka and MBU coz its quite easy to find pics of them as youngsters, The rest i’ll need to have a look around for and make sure i get the right ones...

jtanw

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Chicago/Boston
Awesome guide, and with a little revision and updating I know that it will be an incredible resource. In addition to verifying all of the pictures, I would recommend adding:
  • Tetraodon Duboisi
  • Carinotetraodon Borneensis
  • Carinotetraodon Lorteti
  • Carinotetraodon Imitator
  • Pao Barbatus
  • Auriglobus Silus
  • Leiodon Cutcutia
There are also some species of puffers with extremely little information available on them, but if you just wanted to add the names and very basic info here are all of those that I could find:
  • Auriglobus Amabilis
  • Auriglobus Nefastus
  • Auriglobus Remotus
  • Pao Bergii
  • Pao Brevirostris
  • Pao Fangi
  • Pao Hilgendorfii
  • Pao Ocellaris
  • Pao Palustris

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thank you and yes here are definitely a lot of puffer species I would love to add to this guide over time, but to start with i decided to stick with the more commonly available ones first...

I’m also planning to add more pics of young puffers and maybe a bit more info to the current guide before adding more species hopefully at a later date...

jtanw

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Chicago/Boston
Thank you and yes here are definitely a lot of puffer species I would love to add to this guide over time, but to start with i decided to stick with the more commonly available ones first...

I’m also planning to add more pics of young puffers and maybe a bit more info to the current guide before adding more species hopefully at a later date...
Sounds good. And how young of puffers are you looking for? Because I have some pics of my duboisi, red congo, and amazon puffers when they were juveniles but not fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store