ebjd health

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well let's put it this way, just because he is stunted, and may have sight issues, doesn't mean that he can't or won't open up a can of whoop ass on your other fish. That, and he could have other issues going on, such as internal parasites and/or worms. At this point he has only been in QT for what, a week or so? I would keep the QT going, and just do daily water changes to offset the size of the QT tank.

Reactions: huntery18

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
It's a fact of life with EBJDs that some can have body or eye deformities (including bent spines, short bodies, etc.) or variable to odd shaped heads, whether stunted or not. With most other fish a good breeder would consider these as culls and not sell them, but for whatever reason it gets past some EBJD breeders.

I've had a few EBJD (free of deformities) and I have had individuals go through phases of little to no growth for no real reason. In my case, I found supplementing freeze dried mysis into their feeding got them growing again. I suspect if they were studied thoroughly enough, they'd find (along with their other weaknesses) EBJD have some sort of biochemical issue(s) affecting digestion, immune function, nutrient absorption, enzyme or hormone synthesis or the like.

Debates about their origins aside, they're effectively a line bred fish and some breeders seem to be producing weaker and some stronger versions of them.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I suspect if they were studied thoroughly enough, they'd find (along with their other weaknesses) EBJD have some sort of biochemical issue(s) affecting digestion, immune function, nutrient absorption, enzyme or hormone synthesis or the like.
I concur

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
Well let's put it this way, just because he is stunted, and may have sight issues, doesn't mean that he can't or won't open up a can of whoop ass on your other fish. That, and he could have other issues going on, such as internal parasites and/or worms. At this point he has only been in QT for what, a week or so? I would keep the QT going, and just do daily water changes to offset the size of the QT tank.
i was more worried in the other fish attacking him with him being weak, the 45 has just been established quite a bit longer then the 10 has more hiding places and is larger was why i was thinking about moving him in a week or so, how long would you recommend me leaving him in the qt then? hes been in there for a little over two weeks. i will keep doing frequent water changes as well, i appreciate the reply.

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
It's a fact of life with EBJDs that some can have body or eye deformities (including bent spines, short bodies, etc.) or variable to odd shaped heads, whether stunted or not. With most other fish a good breeder would consider these as culls and not sell them, but for whatever reason it gets past some EBJD breeders.

I've had a few EBJD (free of deformities) and I have had individuals go through phases of little to no growth for no real reason. In my case, I found supplementing freeze dried mysis into their feeding got them growing again. I suspect if they were studied thoroughly enough, they'd find (along with their other weaknesses) EBJD have some sort of biochemical issue(s) affecting digestion, immune function, nutrient absorption, enzyme or hormone synthesis or the like.

Debates about their origins aside, they're effectively a line bred fish and some breeders seem to be producing weaker and some stronger versions of them.
i have no idea what breeder this fish came from he was just dropped off at the local lfs beaten up and in some dirty brown water, hated the thought of him sitting in the holding tank there til he died so figured id give it my best to help him recover. yeah i have read a lot of cases where peoples ebjd randomly die at the three month stage and other incidents where they randomly die at 6 month stage, thats why i plan on breeding my own line to ensure strong genes

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I can appreciate the rescue. Imo odds are he wouldn't fare well with the bigger, healthier JDs in the other tank, I expect they already view it as their tank if they've been in there a while, especially if they've formed any kind of pair bond, and in a 45 there's not a lot of territory to go around. With JDs and a number of other cichlids it's not only about enough gallons, filtration, or water changes to keep them healthy, it's about real estate (tank dimensions), especially once they've put on some size. If the ones in the 45 are 3,4 inches or near it, they're potentially not far from trying to breed if they're a pair. Not a scenario that will make them welcome strangers. :)

My thought is I'd plan on fish in both tanks needing to graduate to bigger tanks and for starters I'd try and move the 45 gal pair to a bigger tank and the 10 gal fish up into the 45 before long.

Reactions: huntery18 and RD.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I can appreciate the rescue. Imo odds are he wouldn't fare well with the bigger, healthier JDs in the other tank, I expect they already view it as their tank if they've been in there a while, especially if they've formed any kind of pair bond, and in a 45 there's not a lot of territory to go around. With JDs and a number of other cichlids it's not only about enough gallons, filtration, or water changes to keep them healthy, it's about real estate (tank dimensions), especially once they've put on some size. If the ones in the 45 are 3,4 inches or near it, they're potentially not far from trying to breed if they're a pair. Not a scenario that will make them welcome strangers. :)

My thought is I'd plan on fish in both tanks needing to graduate to bigger tanks and for starters I'd try and move the 45 gal pair to a bigger tank and the 10 gal fish up into the 45 before long.
I agree with the above, because of inbreeding concentrating on color (sacrificed immune system viability, and general heath in EBJDs) I also believe it sacrificed some aggression hormones that allow it to keep up with "natural" cichlids (JDs and others).
And a 45 gallon is minimally about half the size tank, I would keep a pair of JDs in.
In nature a medium size pair would defend an area equivalent to about 250 gallons. In the video below at about 1 min watch a small pair defend a large area (@ 5'x5'x5') against all other JDs.
Cristalino

Last edited:
Reactions: RD.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Like the video. I'm too old and wish list of things to do way too long, but diving cenotes is on the list of things I'd like to do...

Meanwhile, with the abundance of wild underwater video you can watch these days, I consider it almost fishkeeping 101 to watch footage of what we keep in our tanks, or at least similar species, their habitat, etc. At the very least it adds a dimension of appreciation and understanding of the fish.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I was going by pic #1, which left me with the impression that your other JD's were smaller, less mature, than the new one. I think I missed some additional info along the way? My bad.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I was going by pic #1, which left me with the impression that your other JD's were smaller, less mature, than the new one. I think I missed some additional info along the way? My bad.
I got my impression from the quick flash to the 45 tank during the video, guess OP Hunter knows for sure on that point, though. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store