filtration advice

Chris@els

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2016
good day

ive got a 6ft x 2ft x 1.9 ft tank with a cascade 1500 i searched the internet and the info i saw said the filter does 350gph it one cascade 1500 enough??

thanks

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
By your dimensions its a 170. With that said aquarist shoot for five to ten turn overs an hour
5x170 850
10x170. 1700

On my 125 I have an FX4 (700gph) AC110 (500) 1100 total. Plan to double up what i have as my fish grow.

I would say at least 2 if not 3.

Chris@els

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2016
I am planning on adding a sump just need to get time to get pumps and everything for plumbing that would only be in the new year but thanks for the help

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In many cases the type flow (not necessarily filtration) needed for an aquarium will be determined by the type fish kept, fish are not all the same.
If you want to keep certain bettas, anabantoids, ( swamp dwellers) maybe even discus (oxbows), a low flow situation (especially if you start with young fish) may be adequate

If however you want to keep normal riverine species (large tetras, cichlids, large riveting barbs) that come from areas where water movement is strong your filter (or its pump strength) may not be enough to sustain health.

If you were to keep rheophillic species like tiger fish, Tomocichla tuba, or other species that come from highly oxygenated water in counter current zones or riffles, you filtration will be paltry and even in the span of a year lead to health problems, and aggression. In that case , or even if you want normal riverine species you may want to add a powerhead to supply much more water movement, eliminate dead spots, and add oxygenation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store