The Oscar Did It . . .

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Mornin' folks. Since I now own monster fish, I don't have to blame everything on the cat. :grinno:

I live in sunny central California at the gateway to the sierra, but grew up as a service brat and the son of a programmer. I went to schools (14) all over the USA, left engineering school for computer science in 1973, and moved to California.

I have retired after 45 years in the engineering business, mainly programming computers to solve engineering problems or manufacture things. I built PCs and local networks and and taught engineers about all aspects of computers/logic.

During the engineering employment layoffs after Vietnam, I worked 2 years as a teamster with heavy equipment, and ran the service dept for a heavy-equipment rental company. Dad taught me mechanics, and I have built engines, welded frames, & painted custom cars and motorcycles back in the 70s-80s.

I have been keeping fish since I became an adult in the early 70's, but until 1990 I just kept tiny fish like tetras and bettas and gouramis. Then I bought sailfin plecos and silver dollars and ever bigger tanks. I kept them 14 years until I bought my first oscar. That did it.

I now keep an oscar tank, two pleco tanks, a mixed cichlid tank, cory/tetra/BNP community, betta sorrority tank, 3 male beta tanks, and a mystery snail tank.

By size I own two 55s, two 30 talls, a 30 std, a 20 std, 16 bowfront, two 10's, a 5gal & small vessels for bettas & QT. Three tanks run on DIY sump filters, three have HOBs, 3 UGF, and some big sponge filters. Some tanks have combo systems, like HOB+UGF, sponge+HOB & one sump on skim overflow that returns through a reverse flow UGF. Every setup is different, mostly experimental & all DIY in some manner.

My fish are all very common. I don't own exotics, but still will post photos when I get a few more posts here.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Mornin' folks. Since I now own monster fish, I don't have to blame everything on the cat. :grinno:

I live in sunny central California at the gateway to the sierra, but grew up as a service brat and the son of a programmer. I went to schools (14) all over the USA, left engineering school for computer science in 1973, and moved to California.

I have retired after 45 years in the engineering business, mainly programming computers to solve engineering problems or manufacture things. I built PCs and local networks and and taught engineers about all aspects of computers/logic.

During the engineering employment layoffs after Vietnam, I worked 2 years as a teamster with heavy equipment, and ran the service dept for a heavy-equipment rental company. Dad taught me mechanics, and I have built engines, welded frames, & painted custom cars and motorcycles back in the 70s-80s.

I have been keeping fish since I became an adult in the early 70's, but until 1990 I just kept tiny fish like tetras and bettas and gouramis. Then I bought sailfin plecos and silver dollars and ever bigger tanks. I kept them 14 years until I bought my first oscar. That did it.

I now keep an oscar tank, two pleco tanks, a mixed cichlid tank, cory/tetra/BNP community, betta sorrority tank, 3 male beta tanks, and a mystery snail tank.

By size I own two 55s, two 30 talls, a 30 std, a 20 std, 16 bowfront, two 10's, a 5gal & small vessels for bettas & QT. Three tanks run on DIY sump filters, three have HOBs, 3 UGF, and some big sponge filters. Some tanks have combo systems, like HOB+UGF, sponge+HOB & one sump on skim overflow that returns through a reverse flow UGF. Every setup is different, mostly experimental & all DIY in some manner.

My fish are all very common. I don't own exotics, but still will post photos when I get a few more posts here.

Welcome aboard

Looking forward to seeing the pics.:)

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thanks folks. I really only have 3 fish over 6", and they're all under a foot, so I feel I barely belong as an MFK. I did post pics of all my sump rigs in the "Let's see what's in your stand" thread.

I set up my 10th display tank today, a 10g to rehome my most successfully bred male betta. He lost his 20 std to a new Mbuna today. Trickle-down . . .

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Welcome to the Fishy family!

Sounds like you have had your toes in the water for some time now. So I am pretty confident that you already have plans for the Oscar? As they can grow an inch a month and before you know it outgrow that 55gal. At around the seven to eight month mark my Oscar Toni was pushing past eight inches and bumped her up to a 6ft 125gal. She became a different fish afterwards, more active/busy not just sulking in a corner.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
That's one great looking Red Oscar. You have done an awesome job with it.
Thank you much. I bought him 14 months ago from Pet Extreme.

20171120_223446.jpg
The seller claimed this 2" fish a Lemon Oscar, but by the time it was 3" it was obviously not.

20171120_223350.jpg
He was raised on Hakari Cichlid Gold, red worms, crickets, night crawlers, dried krill, and shrimp pellets.

20171220_001510.jpg

At some point he went from 20 to 30 to 55 gal, & is now 10"+ long. I feed bim a lot but he gets regular exercise when I run the extra circulation pump.
20180105_103642.jpg
Sure Ketch Worms. Food of the gods!

20180302_095553.jpg

20181124_095713.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store